United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people - regardless of immigration status - to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 300,000 members as well as 48 affiliates in 26 states, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, building innovative technology systems, or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals, and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven record of accomplishment and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
The Data & Technology Director directs resources to build new and manage existing technology assets, state of the art cybersecurity infrastructure, and use of data analysis to meet the organization’s strategic and campaign goals. The successful candidate must understand and can articulate the role that technology and cybersecurity play as a pillar of success in 21st Century organizations. They must be a self-starter who understands the value and possibilities presented by strategic data analysis, and is excited by the interplay of data technology with UWD’s vision, goal setting, strategy, and execution of plans.
This position is also responsible for embracing the vision and providing the blueprint for fulfilling UWD’s goal to be a data driven organization and at the forefront of the nonprofit sector in its collection, analysis, and use of data segmentation and reports to ensure that organizing and advocacy work are tailored to our membership and demonstrate effectiveness. You’ll work closely with key senior leadership to develop effective, strategic plans, that get United We Dream closer to achieving its long-term strategic goals.
The person in this position must have the knowledge and experience handling responsibility for all data platforms and ensuring that the data in those platforms are secure, clean, and are stored in ways that facilitate their accessibility and use and for managing the vendor, technology executioners, and UWD staff relationships necessary to reach its technology goals. The position is a full-time, exempt, reports to the Chief Operating Officer. It is located in Washington, DC but there is flexibility. Periodic travel expected.
- Develop strategic plans and goals for the organization with the Director of Membership and Technology Strategies that is tied to UWD’s 2020 vision and strategic plan.
- Manage a high performing team of staff and consultants to ensure that they have all the resources that they need to be successful and effectively execute strategic plans.
- Promote the use of technology and collection of data throughout the organization, including affiliates, and develop and oversee innovative training techniques on the benefits and usage of technology and software, including DreamConnect.
- Develop and implement a plan for the adoption and support of affiliate use of technology including use of ongoing interviews, data, and surveys to refine and improve strategic plans
- Design reports and other real time data feedback tools in collaboration with all UWD departments that enable organization-wide data-based decision-making and program evaluation
- Make UWD the leader in small non-profit organization data security through partnerships with data security experts
- Oversee the provision of support to Dream Connect users and customers to ensure that they are maximizing its benefits for their organizations.
- Work with technology vendors to ensure that all platforms and software are working at optimal levels and explore the use of new features to increase its value
- Drive research and development to identify new areas and needs for innovative technologies
- Ensure the organization’s membership databases are maintained, secure, and properly managed.
Experience and Qualities
- 5+ year experience in data management and technology
- Deeply committed to improve the lives of undocumented immigrants and their families.
- Independent drive and solutions oriented, with extensive experience managing different levels of data & technology projects, including:
- Field organizing programs, including civic engagement initiatives
- Digital organizing programs
- Fundraising and donor management programs
- Communications programs
- Issue based campaigning
- A strategic Data Analyst who can work collaboratively in fast-paced environments to identify relevant metrics to help them achieve their goals.
- Experience developing timely strategic reports for planning and evaluation purposes.
- Has experience working across departments to help identify areas where analytics can support the work of various departments
- Understands that driving independent work from other departments is important to create a culture of analytics
- Craves building organizations into data savvy spaces as well as building a core team and department from the ground up:
- Experience recruiting, managing, developing, a data and tech team motivated by excellence.
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset and is undaunted about developing a department structure and budget.
- Has a creative approach to the use and development of data and technology whether the solutions are budget-neutral or fully resourced.
- Positive attitude enabling the execution of plans effectively with and across departments and the constructive handling of challenges
- An effective communicator who can discuss and trouble-shoot data-related strategies, plans and issues effectively with different audiences throughout the organization, whether senior level managers or volunteers; whether tech-savvy or in need of more explanation.
- Will be able to talk to individuals at all levels of the organization - this includes speaking to volunteers, junior staff, mid-level staff, management staff, and other directors about the use of data, troubleshoot issues, and develop strategies for rectifying and implementation of platforms
- An enthusiastic innovator and practitioner who knows how to set up technology that can both generate needed reports and insightful analytics while establishing processes and workflow that is more efficient,
- Loves engaging people throughout all levels of the organization to brainstorm how to build new technology that enables the team to do more and to overcome challenges
- A productive team player with the ability to hold strategic relationships with staff and other stakeholders alike.
- Has a cybersecurity focus and experience with a keen understanding of how to create organizing tools needed by community organizers that account for situations they face that may compromise their security.
- Has deep knowledge on a diversity of platforms – including CRM, VAN, SQL, Civis Platform, email and SMS platforms. (This is not a must, but if they are not, they need to show competency in being able to quickly grasp other tools.)
This position is open until filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and and 3 references via email to email@example.com and include Data & Technology Director - LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, gender, genetic information, sexual orientation, age, or disability.