About the Role As a member of the Program team, the Impact and Evaluation Manager will lead the development and implementation of an impact and evaluation strategy and execute that strategy across Obama Foundation programs and initiatives. Reporting to the Deputy Chief Program Officer, working closely with the Chief Program Officer and the Program team Directors, and coordinating regularly with leaders from other departments across the Foundation (e.g., Digital, Public Engagement, International, Development), this person will play a critical role in determining how we define, measure, and communicate the impact of Foundation’s work. This role will also support the promotion of evidence-supported civic engagement practice. For full description and to apply Outcomes The Impact and Evaluation Manager will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes in 2018:
- An evaluation and measurement strategy to support an iterative program development process for 2018 and 2019 established and communicated to key stakeholders within the Foundation.
- Long-term and short-term program impact defined collaboratively with program and initiative leads (e.g., Directors in various departments) and other key stakeholders.
- Key stakeholders across the Foundation are aware, engaged, and bought into the overall impact and evaluation strategy and process and support implementation as needed.
- Rigorous evaluation and measurement plans, including key metrics and goals, for most major Foundation programs and initiatives developed in 2018 and implemented by late 2018/early 2019.
- New pilots and programs have clear measurement strategies, evaluation action plans and implementation support.
Responsibilities The ultimate aim of the Impact and Evaluation Manager is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that this individual will spend their time in the following ways:
- In close coordination with the Chief Program Officer, Deputy Chief Program Officer, and program directors, oversee continued development of impact and evaluation strategy, including defining long-term and short-term outcomes, developing evaluation methods and strategies, and setting key metrics and goals.
- Develop a rigorous set of program evaluation methodologies and establish an evaluation practice at the Foundation.
- Design and implement evaluation and/or monitoring systems for some programs.
- Support program and initiative leads in determining performance and impact indicators, metrics, and goals.
- Develop data collection and analysis tools and systems, including working with data platforms, databases and select technologies to capture, organize, and analyze data.
- Contribute to the scoping and development of the Foundation’s research and knowledge work.
- Provide program design and strategy support to new and frontier programs, including development of strategic impact and evaluation frameworks.
- Provide expertise in measurement and evaluation methodology and implementation to Foundation staff, including ongoing coaching.
- Manage staff as necessary
- Coordinate with peer-level stakeholders across the Foundation to ensure smooth and effective collaboration on evaluation and measurement initiatives.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience.
- Significant experience developing and managing monitoring, evaluation, and/or measurement programs, especially building new programs or projects.
- Strong experience with strategic planning and execution.
- Strong data and analytic capabilities, including a working understanding of data systems and management and data analysis
- Experience in survey design and experimental design, especially with an iterative focus
- Excellent relationship building skills, with an ability to influence and motivate people at all levels of an organization.
- A high-impact, low-ego orientation and a deep commitment to mission and team.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Background in or understanding of civic participation and engagement (preferred).
- Experience working with young people and/or marginalized communities (preferred).
- A track record of generating creative / innovative solutions to problems (preferred).
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic environment (preferred).