Location: Oakland, CA Organization Overview
The Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a national project of the Tides Center, aims to replace prison waste with new safety priorities rooted in prevention and community health. To accomplish these goals, ASJ partners with state leaders, state-based advocates, crime survivors and influential allies to advance policy reforms that will significantly reduce incarceration rates in the criminal justice system.
Currently operating in six states, ASJ advances justice reform through alliance building, issue education, crime survivor organizing and policy advocacy. ASJ is committed to both reforming state justice systems and empowering the communities most harmed by concentrated crime and over-incarceration. ASJ is the sister organization of Californians for Safety and Justice, a project of the Tides Center (www.safeandjust.org) and Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a 501(c)4 project of The Advocacy Fund.
Alliance for Safety and Justice seeks a Director of Information Technology to design and implement a comprehensive IT infrastructure across the organization and its affiliates. The job requires a highly motivated and experienced individual who is comfortable in a start-up environment where the existing IT setup is incomplete.
The position will require the Director of IT to align information systems to ensure larger organizational objectives and strategies are met, particularly to support a rapid national expansion effort. S/he will oversee the IT strategy and planning, data management, service, strategic IT initiatives, the development of dashboards conveying critical management information, and staff training. This individual will advise the executive staff on implementation and selection of software solutions, ensuring that ASJ develops into a data-driven organization capable of managing all organizational parameters within an integrated software environment.
- Developing and implementing a 3-5 year technology roadmap/strategy and staffing plan;
- Consolidating and improving information technology use throughout the organization and partnering with management to ensure user acceptance and satisfaction;
- Designing, developing and managing an information technology architecture including multiple database systems and internal and external facing web infrastructure;
- Optimizing data systems to improve organizational ability to store, manipulate and leverage member and donor information;
- Developing, maintaining and enhancing IT security policies;
- Driving cost savings in all areas of IT in direct relationship to the size and needs of the organization;
- Negotiating contracts and managing vendor relations to ensure contractual requirements are met;
- Building a learning organization for IT staff and encouraging all team members to stay abreast of new technology trends and methodologies;
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of information technology management experience, preferably in a high-growth, entrepreneurial environment;
- A visionary, creative, and inspirational leader who is passionate about ASJ’s goals of improving our criminal justice system;
- Proven success in both implementation and maintenance of efficient and financially viable systems;
- Prior direct experience with customer-or contact management databases, ideally Salesforce, Action Network, and potentially Nation Builder;
- Experience working in a distributed network and implementing systems with organizations of various size with multiple locations supported by a centralized organization;
- A strong desire to take responsibility for projects on the front line by actively engaging in the development and execution of project planning with other directors; possesses a “get things done” attitude and a willingness to roll up his/her sleeves to ensure implementation of projects and instills this ethic in others on their team;
- Knowledge of networking and server infrastructure hardware, providers and solutions;
- Skilled in project management methodologies and processes;
- Well versed in software development methodologies and processes, and preferably demonstrated success in agile delivery;
- Prior experience working with in-house staff and IT consultants;
- Demonstrated ability to influence colleagues and peers toward action, without necessarily having reporting-line authority over these employees;
- Previous experience effectively communicating with all levels in an organization including executive management;
- A tremendous drive and strong ability to achieve outcomes.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com with a reference to the job title, “Director of Information Technology,” in the subject line. Please send a cover letter indicating your match to the stated job requirements; your resume; and at least 3 professional references.
Position open until filled. The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.