Voices Vote Now (VVN) is hiring staff for a non-partisan, large-scale coordinated voter registration campaign active for the 2018 through 2020 election cycles. The campaign aims to fundamentally change the nature of the electorate by registering millions of underrepresented voters across the country. This effort will focus on voter registration in a smart, targeted way by conducting at-scale, effective, efficient, metrics-driven registration work that will drive down the cost per net vote, build capacity for voter registration programs long term, and shape best practices for the entire field of voter registration. We directly fund organizations who execute voter registration drives and run quality control operations, and we are dedicated to being active participants with the organizations to ensure their programs are effective and to promote an investment in the future of emerging communities.
The campaign seeks a rising star with an interest in campaign data to serve as Data Manager reporting to the Data and Analytics Director. The Data Manager will be responsible for providing data support for voter registration programs in the field, with a primary focus on creating reports and analysis that facilitate high-level management of voter registration. This individual will be at the forefront of the campaign’s effort to develop a culture of datadrivenquality, efficiency, and accountability, working closely with the campaign’s Program staff and with partner organizations. The campaign will provide training and support to develop new skills. The campaign seeks to hire for this position immediately, and it is a three year position that will go beyond the 2020 cycle.
The Data Manager will:
- Be responsible for combining data and reporting topline metrics on a wide range of voter registration programs across multiple states
- Help design and manage systems for tracking voter registration
- Use data to help others better understand program (such as: which states are on track to meet their goals, or which locations are producing the most registration applications) Contribute to developing best practices for data collection and management
- Write and edit on topics relating to data for documentation and agreements between organizations conducting registration work
- Communicate clearly and effectively about technical topics with colleagues and partner organizations
- Be detail-oriented, flexible, and a self-directed problem solver
This is a great opportunity for someone who:
- Enjoys getting into the weeds of a spreadsheet
- Gets excited using data to collaborate with peers, including technical and non-technical people
- Is passionate about civic participation
- Loves noticing when numbers don’t line up and figuring out why
- Wants to learn and grow in the field of campaign data
- Has experience using data to manage field organizers on a statewide campaign
Desired qualities for the Data Manager:
- Committed to the idea of changing the nature of the electorate
- Deep commitment to voter registration as a key component of any long-term strategy for making progressive policy change
- Excellent working skills with MS Excel
- Creative thinking and ability to solve problems
- Ability to be an active participant as part of a collaborative team that includes stakeholders with nontechnical backgrounds
- Strong communication skills with the ability to organize complex ideas for others to understand
Preferred but not required:
- Introductory experience with SQL
- Spanish proficiency a major plus
- Knowledge of both national and state structures of the progressive infrastructure and coalition partners
- Experience working with high-volume voter registration drives, especially quality control
- Experience contributing to data trainings
- Previous experience working with VAN, Catalist, or other individual-level data used to target and implement civic engagement programs
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Pete Backof at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Data Manager Application.” Resumes and cover letters should have a file name that leads with last name and first initial. Salary will be commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package, including excellent health benefits and generous vacation and leave policies.
We embrace principles of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or transgender or veteran status. We strongly encourage people of color, women, and bilingual candidates to apply. This position will be staffed through VVN, which is an equal opportunity employer.