During the 2016 election, we reached a million voters with ballot.fyi. It’s 2018, and we gotta vote again. We’re creating new ways for residents to learn and connect over local issues, and we need a creative mind.
Why By The Bay?
We’re a nonpartisan local politics news site, with the aim to get young residents talking about local issues. We’ve received a grant from the Knight Foundation to create a ballot guide for San Francisco, San Jose, and California for 2018, and we plan to expand our reach quickly, which is where design and tech (i.e. you) would come in.
You would be our first hire and would work alongside us, Jimmy Chion and Yvonne Leow. Jimmy (creator of ballot.fyi, former IDEO designer/engineer) handles product and design, and Yvonne (president of AAJA, formerly of Vox.com, the Associated Press) leads editorial and partnerships. As the third, you’ll be joining us for the ride that is a startup.
This is a full-time contract position based in San Francisco. Compensation is comparable to other media startups’ with a possibility for equity.
The perfect candidate is…
A jack-of-all-trades front-end developer, moonlighting as a designer, who happens to love policy, politics, or local. If you can code and have a sense of aesthetics, can sketch UX flows, and revel in the details of icons, interactions, and system architecture, you’re the kind of folk we want.
If you have…
- Deployed projects with React, or similar JS frameworks.
- Experience with typical React workflows (react-router, redux, jest)
- A strong understanding of integration with APIs
- Used AWS workflows (S3, Cloudfront, Lambda)
- Fluency with JS and CSS for animation and interactivity
- Tackled broad design challenges
Bonus points for
- Experience with Graphcool/GraphQL
- Graphic layout design and illustration skills
- Can create assets and mocks in Adobe Creative Suite (Ai, Ps) and Sketch
- Interest in public policy, local politics and/or city government
Apply by emailing email@example.com with a note on why you’re interested and some projects you’ve created, your portfolio, resume, Github, or whatever you think best shows us your passions and skills.