Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Are you interested in using data science to solve big and important problems in new ways — like helping nonprofits increase participation in vital social services, figuring out how to get families saving for college and retirement, or completely changing the way advocacy organizations talk about their policy platforms? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Scientist to join either our nonprofit or political team in Washington, DC!
Civis Analytics was born on the campaign trail, with CEO Dan Wagner and our founding members spearheading the 2012 Obama for America analytics team. Since then, our DC and Chicago teams have been building software and growing rapidly among a steadily developing client base in education, energy, government, healthcare, media, nonprofits, and politics. It’s our mission to empower organizations to find truth and guide actions that will change their world for the better.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the advisory arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science.
The nonprofit ADS team in DC works with a diverse array of organizations — from direct service organizations like the American Red Cross, to foundations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and state and local government agencies like the Office of the Illinois State Treasurer. You can read about some of our recent work to combat poverty in New York City with the Robin Hood Foundation and to engage new arts audiences with the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
As a Applied Data Scientist, you will structure hard problems, analyze large data sets, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, create client materials, and ensure on-time progress and delivery of our projects. This role reports to an Applied Data Science Manager.
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, and anywhere in between. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
To learn more about our culture, check out Civis Analytics on The Muse!
- Work with colleagues to structure complex client problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Enhance, find patterns in, and build predictive models on large data sets
- Maintain a continuous and independent education on cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Develop and adhere to a quality control process
- Work with Applied Data Scientist Managers to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with the Applied Data Scientist Managers to create presentations that are client-ready, clear, and correct
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent
- Proven affinity for and experience with working with large data sets
- Proven affinity for and experience with programming languages such as SQL, R, Python, etc.
- Experience working with presentation software, such as Tableau, Shiny, and MS PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to complete work on time
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills