Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Are you interested in using data science to solve big and important problems in new ways — like helping nonprofits increase participation in vital social services, figuring out how to get families saving for college and retirement, or completely changing the way advocacy organizations talk about their policy platforms? Civis Analytics is looking for a Data Scientist to join our Social Science Research and Development team in Chicago!
The Social Science Research and Development team is seeking a Data Scientist to join our diverse team. The data scientists on our team have a variety of backgrounds including physics, political science, and mathematics. We function as the core research group for Civis’s measurement products and political practice, solving problems ranging from large-scale optimization and resource allocation to high dimensional modeling to causal inference.
As a Data Scientist on our team, your day-to-day work will involve everything from project management, statistical modeling in Python/R to the testing and development of statistical software. You will also actively work with our Applied Data Science teams to help clients make better data-driven decisions, and with our engineering teams to scale new research ideas into production.
- Ability to learn new techniques and technologies quickly as our needs change
- Ability to work well in a small team in a self-directed manner
- Python/R and SQL
- Machine learning and statistical modeling (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Stan)
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (political science, statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or equivalent