Based in Washington D.C, BlueLabs was formed in early 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America analytics team. We help organizations personalize their engagements with individuals, optimize communications, and achieve their strategic goals. Our team includes more than 40 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Through our work, we’ve directly and measurably improved the health and financial security of millions of Americans.
Since 2013, we’ve served more than 300 organizations, run more than 1,000 randomized experiments, built hundreds of models, generated over 6 billion touch points, reached virtually every contactable person in the United States, and driven significant improvements in some of the highest-profile private sector, advocacy, and government programs around the world. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
Our clients range from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as global companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries.
About the Position
As part of the campaigns team at BlueLabs you’ll be working with a group of analysts and data scientists who primarily work with political and advocacy clients looking to win elections and influence voters.
The Analyst position requires a mix of analysis, data management and presentation, and communication. You’ll be responsible for hard analysis as well as putting together the reports and calculators that will power our solutions and the client facing materials that summarizes those findings.
Analysts at BlueLabs focus on the nuances of a client’s data and creating and implementing our solutions. Some of our work is templated, but our analysts excel when they come up with creative solutions to problems. This will require creating new tools or analyzing existing outputs in a new light.
This is a great role for those who have done data work in the past – at school or in a professional environment and are looking to become experts in their field.
Some examples of projects you might work on:
- Building custom reports of field contacts and presenting meaningful analysis of what those reports indicate about the success of a campaign’s program
- Creating calculators that help clients plan through scenarios
- Wrestling with data to create clear and concise files for you (and others) to analyze
- Building customized universes based on our team’s models
- Creating memos and decks that tell the story of our findings
Who you are:
- You are passionate about harnessing data-driven solutions to improve social outcomes.
- You’re eager to learn and get to the frontier of fundamental techniques in data management, analysis, and visualization.
- You’re able to conduct data analysis on tight deadlines where the problem is unstructured or the guidance is open ended.
- You can recognize patterns and are careful to check assumptions - whether they are your own or someone else’s.
- You have the spirit of a self-starter.
Preferred Experience and Background
- You likely have at least a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field with some statistical background or a few years of experience analyzing data and coming up with solutions.
- You have experience manipulating different data sets to identify clear insights .
- You have a great attention to detail.
Preferred skills include some of the following:
- Experience with a programming language (Python, Java, Ruby, SQL, etc.), statistical programs (SAS, SPSS, R, etc,.), spreadsheet and presentation software (Excel, Google Sheets, PowerPoint, Keynote), data visualization and business intelligence tools (GIS, Tableau, Periscope etc.)
- A background in campaign data/analytics is a plus
At BlueLabs, we’re more than just a team of innovators - we’re a family. We’re looking for mission-driven individuals, who are willing to invest, collaborate, and engage at high levels, to make our team and the world a better place. We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Blog, Facebook Page, Twitter, or Instagram.
BlueLabs believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful partner for our clients. We’re committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veterans status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.