Based in Washington D.C, BlueLabs was formed in early 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America analytics team. We help organizations personalize their engagements with individuals, optimize communications, and achieve their strategic goals. Our team includes more than 40 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Through our work, we’ve directly and measurably improved the health and financial security of millions of Americans.
Since 2013, we’ve served more than 300 organizations, run more than 1,000 randomized experiments, built hundreds of models, generated over 6 billion touch points, reached virtually every contactable person in the United States, and driven significant improvements in some of the highest-profile private sector, advocacy, and government programs around the world. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
Our clients range from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as global companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries.
As part of the campaign team at BlueLabs you’ll be working with a group of analysts and data scientists who primarily work with political and advocacy clients looking to win elections and influence voters.
About the Position
The Senior Analyst position requires a mix of analysis, leadership and communication. You’ll be responsible for managing relationships with your clients and leading other staff members in providing the tools and answers that clients need. This role is great for those who have led teams before and are looking to create new connections, or those who have mastered the fundamentals of data-driven analysis and are looking to lead project-based teams.
Senior analysts are project managers with one foot in the data and one foot in the client’s world. As advisers and strategists, you’ll be looking at the big picture but you’ll also need to wrestle with the data itself. You’ll also be framing the questions our team answers and identifying and communicating trends you and other team members sees in the data using a mix of your own and your team’s analysis, and the solutions and products provided by our analysts, engineers and data scientists.
Past senior analysts have worked as consultants or embedded analysts on Gubernatorial or Senate campaigns, managed projects for major party committees, advised congressional campaigns, and led development of new avenues of research.
- Managing relationships and day-to-day communication with our clients.
- Understanding clients’ needs on an ongoing basis and directing BlueLabs’ resources to meet those needs.
- Trouble-shooting problems as they arise and being continually agile with implementing solutions.
- Providing data analysis to address clients’ challenges.
- Creating and delivering presentations and trainings that clearly and effectively communicate BlueLabs’ work and outcomes.
- Communicating information between clients and internal technical teams.
- Developing new and innovative ways to employ BlueLabs’ technology and analytics products to an ever-growing array of challenges and situations.
- Overseeing multiple projects and identifying priorities to ensure timely and successful completion of projects.
- Effectively collaborating with a team of experts and problem solvers.
Your team will be responsible for answering questions like:
- What political trends should a campaign be aware of and what are their different pathways to victory?
- Which experiment type would find the right mode to contact persuadable voters?
- How do you design a test that tells us the impact of different messages?
- How do we present analysis and reports, so our partners get the information they need?
Who you are:
- You are passionate about harnessing data-driven solutions to improve social outcomes.
- You’ve got an interest and understanding of scientific findings and you are familiar with how to read a regression output, particularly thinking about how to apply it.
- You’re comfortable being a connector between worlds - you can relate to an analyst focused on the potential academic contribution of her research and with the head of a department who needs to make time constrained decisions on a budget.
- You’ve managed multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- You have the spirit of a self-starter.
Preferred Background and Experience
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field (including, but not limited to, political science, economics, math, statistics, physics, or another major with strong quantitative emphasis) and a few years of experience in leadership or project management roles in an analytical setting.
- A knack for finding elegant, creative, and cost-effective solutions to complex problems.
- Strong and broad technical communication skills - you can write for a technical audience, but you can also boil down a model, experiment, or engineering solution to an elevator pitch for a campaign manager or CEO to understand.
- Experience with statistical programs (SAS, SPSS, R, Python etc) and spreadsheet and presentation software (Excel, Google Sheets, PowerPoint, Keynote) is preferred.
- A background in campaign data/analytics is a plus.
- Experience with at least one programming language (Python, Java, Ruby), SQL queries, and data visualizations (GIS, Tableau, etc.) is a plus.
At BlueLabs, we’re more than just a team of innovators - we’re a family. We’re looking for mission-driven individuals, who are willing to invest, collaborate, and engage at high levels, to make our team and the world a better place. We welcome diverse, out-of-the-box thinking, and we strive to provide an ecosystem for innovation and development. If you want more information about who we are as a team, check out our Blog, Facebook Page, Twitter, or Instagram.
BlueLabs believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful partner for our clients. We’re committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veteran status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.