The District Data Coordinator will:
Become an expert in the Labor Action Network–the AFL-CIO’s instance of the VAN–to provide support and maintenance of the tool for the hundreds of users who use it on a daily basis in their district.
Provide support, guidance and strategy to AFL-CIO staff and other stakeholders in their district on how to best integrate the LAN and other member engagement tools into their member contact programs.
Collaborate with other Data and Analytics team members to provide input on the design and implementation of a training curriculum on the LAN and conduct trainings in their district for state affiliates, State Federations, CLCs, AFL-CIO staff, coalition partner organizations and other approved users.
Act as a data director for a Tier 1 state for the last four months of election years.
In practice, we’re looking for someone who is able to do the following:
- Love interfacing with users of the LAN and other member engagement tools to help the solve problems and increase their knowledge on how to use these tools efficiently.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to develop training materials and be able to deliver them effectively to audiences of different sizes and expertise levels in their district.
- Coordinate with other team members to come up with ways to provide strategic guidance and support to make the AFL-CIO joint mobilization program the most effective program it can be.
- Collaborate with team members to figure out how we can make our work more efficient.
- Be able to juggle multiple projects at the same time.
If you’re at all interested in applying for any of these positions, we urge you to begin the application process and submit your resume and cover letter. If you feel that you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we’d encourage you to apply anyway.
This position pays $82,966.41. The formal job description is below for all three positions.
Preference on location
- Western district: Strong preference for someone to be based in California or Washington but will consider other states within the district (see list above). Must be within 100 miles of a major airport.
- Southwest district: Strong preference for someone based in Nevada or New Mexico but will consider other states within the district (see list below). Must be within 100 miles of a major airport.
- Southern district: Strong preference for someone to be based in Florida but will consider other states within the district (see list above). Must be within 100 miles of a major airport.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The District Data Coordinator plays a critical part in supporting the administration of the core infrastructure that powers the Federation, particularly the Labor Action Network (LAN)–the labor movement’s instance of the Voter Activation Network (VAN). This position is part of a team responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the LAN–everything from creating accounts to supporting and troubleshooting issues with users to figuring out new efficiencies in workflow and uses for the tool. The District Data Coordinator will work closely with the National AFL-CIO, state affiliates and in-state federation bodies to assist with LAN usage and other data analysis needs. This position will also assist with the development and implementation of trainings on the LAN and other tools as well as provide support for new member engagement tools.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department’s goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation’s programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement - from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, to state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Coordinate the day to day operation of the Labor Action Network in the state(s).
- Coordinate and prepare reporting product from the LAN, including: accountability reports; and data analysis.
- Conduct supplemental training and technical support to national AFL-CIO staff within state, state federations and central labor councils (CLCs) in their district and assist with orientation of assigned released staff–who are approved users on the LAN system–on in-state processes for utilization of the LAN and other data tools.
- Work with state federation bodies to develop strategies on how to best integrate the LAN system into their own political and issues program.
- Lead and coordinate the usage of other campaign technology in the state(s) and train in- state AFL-CIO, state federation, CLC staff on the usage of the LAN as needed.
- Collaborate with other Data and Analytics team members to provide input on the design and implementation of a training curriculum on the LAN and other tools for state affiliates, State Federations, CLCs, AFL-CIO staff, coalition partner organizations and other approved users.
- Collaborate with other Data and Analytics team members to provide input on improvements and development to the LAN and other member engagement tools.
- Monitor the usage of the LAN to make sure that all activities conform to the AFL-CIO Executive Council policy on membership list security.
- Provide technical support to state federations, CLCs, coalition partner organizations and other approved users on the LAN as well as other new member engagement tools.
- Work with phone, mail and other vendors to ensure they’re abiding by the AFL-CIO membership list security policy.
- Provide support, guidance and strategy to AFL-CIO staff and other stakeholders on how best to integrate the LAN and other member engagement tools into their member contact programs.
- Collect key election data during elections to be applied and used on the LAN system.
- Maintenance of data systems and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years of field or targeting experience.
- Demonstrated experience with Excel databases and data clean up.
- Demonstrated and extensive experience in electoral political and issue campaigns, particularly focused on data coordination and management a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement and experience working in the labor movement a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, in both a lead and support role.
- Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Training skills with experience using a variety of tactics and techniques to train users with a wide spectrum of knowledge (i.e. webinars, building out curriculum modules to level up users, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.
- Ability to travel for long and extended periods as required.