The Missouri Rural Crisis Center (MRCC) is a statewide farm and rural membership organization founded in 1985 with over 5,600 member families. Our mission is to preserve family farms, promote stewardship of the land and environmental integrity and strive for economic and social justice by building unity and mutual understanding among diverse groups, both rural and urban. We carry out this mission through our programming areas, each with its own specific role in advocating for family farms and rural communities. Our approach to family farm organizing includes challenging corporate control of the food supply, creating sustainable alternatives to the current farm and food system, working for access to high-quality affordable healthcare and generating community participation to create a just, democratic society based on equity and fairness for all people. MRCC also plays leadership roles in state, national and international efforts collaborations and coalitions that further our policy and advocacy goals.
About the Job:
MRCC is seeking a data and communication consultant that will help us build systems and processes to input and organize significant incoming data from multiple campaigns into our internal database and the Voter Activation Network (VAN) in a manner that allows to us efficiently utilize the data in multiple strategic outputs. This will allow us to more quickly and effectively communicate with, activate and move supporters into deeper levels of engagement with us on our issues. The contract will be for 4 months to develop systems and processes for 1) updating our database to include all meaningful organizational data, 2) gathering and inputting new data in an efficient and ongoing way, 3) supporting membership and grassroots fundraising, and 4) analyzing our data to understand best practices, adjust program, and report on the value of our work. Systems and processes will need to address two databases and empower us to most effectively communicate with our base and move them into action on our core issues.
- Work with MRCC staff to ensure staff, core leaders, and committees have the tools, data and know-how to use data correctly in constructing strategic campaign plans, voter contact programs, and outreach efforts for local, state, and federal policy campaigns.
- Work with MRCC staff and key partners to maximize use of VAN, Powerbase, targeting and other data resources
- Develop systems and procedures for collecting, entering and analyzing data to advance organizing goals for core issues
- Generate reports summarizing data sets
- Participate in planning and development of internal processes to find more efficient and effective ways of communicating between databases and voter contact programs
- Troubleshoot and resolve VAN and Powerbase software problems and opportunities for increased efficiency
- At least 2-3 years of data management experience, preferably with c3 and/or c4 community organizing, civic engagement organizing, and voter campaigns
- Value and believe in the power of grassroots organizing and be willing to inform and have your work informed by our grassroots organizing goals
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in close collaboration with MRCC staff
- Strong VAN and Excel skills required. Experience with Powerbase (or similar database) and mapping software preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and provide reporting and visualization
- Experience working with diverse communities a plus
- Willingness to work flexible hours (not always a set weekly schedule, dependent on workflow)
We are looking for a flexible, detail-oriented, passionate and personable consultant, whose work with us will strengthen the capacity of our growing organization. Contract Compensation: Commensurate with experience