Whistleblower Aid is a pioneering non-profit law firm that helps patriotic government workers and contractors to report and publicize wrongdoing they witness in their workplace — safely, lawfully and responsibly. We’ve already had success (1) blocking Rick Perry’s disastrous coal bailout with FERC, (2) stopping a criminal from confirmation to a post at CIA, and (3) exposing Rex Tillerson’s violations of the Child Soldiers Protection Act. Remote Opportunity
This is a new role at Whistleblower Aid with plenty of freedom and control to architect an improved production environment for all of our internal and external technology.
For this position, we’re explicitly looking for someone experienced (3+ years DevOps / sysadmin experience) and confident in taking on a broad set of responsibilities managing, deploying and maintaining complex projects across several different environments. You should be comfortable receiving and giving constructive feedback, up for a challenge, and eager to learn.
We need someone to automate our backend processes using Puppet or Ansible to craft a secure server environment for all of our technology systems. In addition, we are seeking someone who is deeply knowledgeable in security.
Experience specifically relating to DevOps, Linux kernel hardening, key and access management, containerization, continuous integration, monitoring and performance management and having exceptional opsec is a huge advantage. You should be comfortable with Python, Go or Rust. Previous remote work and startup experience is also very valuable.
- Automate the deployment and backend processes using Puppet or Ansible to create secure and replicable environments
- Monitor performance across our services
- Review log files on a routine basis
- Regularly review new patches and perform security analysis to ensure they are applied properly
- We envision someone taking on this role as a part-time contractor (2 days per week) to compose scripts and build automations. Then transition to more of a maintenance (7-10 hrs/week) role.
- Potential to become a larger role as we grow and expand services.
- This role requires someone who is exceptional at clear, frequent communication and time management.
- There are a lot of opportunities for growth at Whistleblower Aid as the team expands. We actively try to find people with different perspectives and experiences to the ones we already have as it makes our entire team stronger.
Whistleblower Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: Whistleblower Aid is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Whistleblower Aid will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- This is an hourly position with potential for growth
- Rate commensurate upon experience and industry averages
About Whistleblower Aid Whistleblower Aid helps government workers to uphold their oath without breaking the law or exposing themselves to criminal prosecution. Our professional legal advice is free and confidential, but never ideological or partisan. Whistleblower Aid provides lawful alternatives to illicit leaking.
Apply In order to apply for this job, please send the following to our tech team: A copy of your resume Cover letter Link to your github/gitlab account, if applicable Email: email@example.com