Fair Trade USA’s newly formed Data Team works with departments across the organization to collect, manage, analyze and share data about Fair Trade USA’s business and the impact of our work. The organization is committed to being excellent stewards of our data while working quickly to create meaningful data insights that can be used to evaluate the effectiveness of our programs and deliver supply chain insights to our partners.
The Director of Data Science will lead a team of 7 data practitioners at Fair Trade USA. Building a highly functional and motivated team of enthusiastic and talented staff is critical to the success of this role. In addition, the ideal candidate will bring advanced knowledge of best practices from data engineering, data science and code deployment. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, with the ability to easily understand whole of business needs, while also bringing superior technical knowledge to the team. We are looking for an individual who can be a technical advisor and leader to a burgeoning team of analysts and scientists, while being an owner of the data outputs and data uses across the organization. This is an exciting new role, within an ambitious newly formed team, and one that is central to the ongoing success of Fair Trade.
- Lead 7 highly motivated team members (3 direct reports), focused on creating data tools and supporting a data driven culture
- Develop the strategic and operational plan for the Data Team and manage the team budget
- Be a strategic, dynamic, and accessible leader able to manage, coach and mentor team members
- Thinks critically and strategically to set direction and guide innovation in product management, project management, and resource management
- Relationship builder with internal teams and clients/prospects at the CMO, CTO and other senior levels
- Partner with the Technology Department to ensure robust QA processes, ensuring best practices are implemented for all Data Team work
- Foster industry-leading capabilities and drive innovation to include future strategies to include machine learning and data science applications at Fair Trade USA
- Engage across departments to drive concrete impact and revenue-driven deliverables as determined by functions and business units
- Look for opportunities to use insights/datasets/code/models across other functions in the organizations
- Develop and demo MVP prototypes and proof of concepts
- Advise on best practices for data storage, warehousing, querying and architecture with the Data team as well as the Tech team to develop best-in-class data warehousing and coding platforms and mechanisms
- Horizon scan to stay up to date with latest technology, techniques and methods
- Have an eye towards the strategic implementation of machine learning within FTUSA’s Data Product and Internal functions, prototype potential use cases
- Define best practice and thought leadership around responsible data science for future use cases