The AFL-CIO is currently hiring for a number of positions in the Data, Analytics and Infrastructure Resource. These positions will play an integral part in our election work through November and will be critical as we dig into some big projects around data and analytics work post-election.
Senior Strategist and Analytics Lead: This is a high-level opening and would be leading the Federation’s analytics work and helping to guide the strategic decision-making of the organization and our clients. This position pays $102,650.
Lead Data Scientist: There are vast amounts of hidden insights to be found in the AFL-CIO’s data and this position will be responsible for discovering them. Candidates should have solid experience using applied statistics and programming to answer tricky problems at scale. Candidates should also be passionate about new technologies and ways of solving problems and determining how to apply them to your work as well as committed to teaching and strengthening the skills of our team. This position pays $96,323.
Temporary Data Coordinator: This is a temporary position that will run through the end of December. This position will work to support the Data and Analytics team with any LAN (the labor movement version of the VAN) support through the election. This position pay $86,284.78 (annual); $1,659.32 (weekly).
Full job descriptions for each position are below too.
SENIOR STRATEGIST AND ANALYTICS LEAD
Overview of Responsibilities:
- The Senior Strategist & Analytics Lead plays a central role supporting strategic planning and campaign management at the AFL-CIO. This position is responsible for proposing, developing, designing, and implementing statistical analysis to optimize our organizational goals. We can observe things about the world and collect data. We use analysis and statistics on that data to inform our programmatic decision-making.
- The Senior Strategist & Analytics Lead is part of the Data & Analytics division in the Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department. In addition to leading the Federation’s analytics efforts, this position will help liaise with affiliates and other external stakeholders about data and analytics on behalf of the AFL-CIO.
- The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department’s goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation’s programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement - from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, to state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
- This position reports to the Deputy Director of the Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department.
Description of Duties
- Lead the Federation’s targeting, polling, modeling, experiments, analysis, and other data research;
- Employ these techniques to guide organizational priorities toward campaigns and tactics that are likely to make gains for working people;
- Define, develop an analysis plan, and answer research questions on the effectiveness of our campaign strategies and tactics.
- Clearly communicate Data & Analytics division’s analysis and strategic assessments to non-technical stakeholders;
- Act as Data & Analytics division liaison to affiliates, state and local federations, and other AFL-CIO departments as it relates to use of the AFL-CIO’s data and analytic products;
- Collaborate with staff in other departments to ensure our campaigns are run well and informed by data;
- Work with national and state staff to support and inform the AFL-CIO member contact program;
- Work with staff in Data & Analytics division to develop work plans and troubleshoot complex projects;
- Collaborate on political voter contact programs with outside organizations;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience/working knowledge of statistics;
- Knows SQL, Python, or R, or has done other analytics work using large datasets
- Familiarity with at least one of the following disciplines: design and analysis of field experiments, survey methodology, or machine learning;
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal skills;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working directly with campaign staff or high level stakeholders on statewide or national political campaigns;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with, or for, a union, an association, candidate campaign, or a nonprofit political/social organization;
- Must have excellent computer skills and understanding of political technology;
- Some experience with VAN/LAN in a campaign setting;
- Ability to work independently as well as lead and work in a team environment;
- Strong project management and problem solving skills;
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments;
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including weekends; and to travel as needed.
LEAD DATA SCIENTIST Overview of Responsibilities
- Are you the kind of person who sees order in the seemingly random events in world? Do you stress the small stuff and seek answers to difficult questions? Does data and science motivate you? Are you up for a challenge? If so, you may be the data scientist we are looking for.
- There are vast amounts of hidden insights to be found in the AFL-CIO’s data and you will be responsible for discovering them. You should have solid experience using applied statistics and programming to answer tricky problems at scale. You should be passionate about new technologies and ways of solving problems and determining how to apply them to your work. We are also looking for someone who has a commitment to teach and strengthen the skills of our team. We welcome diverse perspectives and experiences and we encourage you to showcase your style of thinking in your work.
- The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource’s goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation’s programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement - from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, to state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
As the lead data scientist at the AFL-CIO, you will:
- Build, test, and deploy data science solutions at scale for the AFL-CIO under tight timelines (we have to ship before Election Day).
- Imagine and build the data science tools and products we need to run a strong program.
- Collaborate with other analysts and data engineers on data science projects, particularly in automating solutions.
- Mentor analysts, data engineers, and others in the department. You are the data science expert and will build up the rest of the teams skills and capacity.
- Own our data acquisition process and suggest and implement positive changes.
- Produce ad hoc analysis of disparate data sets - you will often be asked to find order in chaotic data and communicate meaningful results to non-technical people.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- You should have a good mix of the following (but we encourage interested people to apply even if you don’t check every box):
- Undergraduate degree in a technical field (like computer science, statistics, applied math, etc) or an equivalent mix of academic and/or real world experience.
- At least 3 years of meaningful work or academic experience in data science.
- Analytical creativity and problem solving skills using data science techniques.
- Deep understanding of statistical programming using a common data science language and toolkit (like R, python, Stata or another language) and experience in predictive modeling and machine learning.
- Understanding of data visualization techniques and dashboarding (using tools like D3, Shiny, Periscope, or Tableau).
- Experience with manipulating large data sets in a SQL database (we use Vertica and Redshift).
- Experience with data wrangling, missing data imputation, standardizing messy data from different sources, and ETL processes.
- Interest in the labor movement or progressive causes, such as political campaigns, public interest groups, or government.
- Ability to work extended or irregular hours.
TEMPORARY DATA COORDINATOR
Overview of Responsibilities
- The Temporary Data Coordinator plays a critical part in supporting the administration of the core infrastructure and technology that powers the Federation. A great deal of the work of this position will focus on the Labor Action Network (LAN)–the labor movement’s instance of the Voter Activation Network (VAN)–but also other existing and new tools and technology. This position is part of a team responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the LAN and other tools–everything from creating accounts to supporting and troubleshooting issues with users to evaluating new efficiencies in workflow and uses for the tool. The Data Coordinator will also work closely with AFL-CIO state federations, central labor councils, AFL-CIO affiliate unions and local unions to assist with their needs around member engagement tools and technology.
- The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department’s goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation’s programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement–from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, and state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
- Political Term Position Not to Exceed December 2018
Description of Duties
- Assist in coordinating the day-to-day operation of the Labor Action Network;
- Create report templates in the LAN for walks, membership phone contacts and mailings;
- Produce ad hoc reports on the use of the LAN;
- Work with NGP-VAN, state election officials, and other outside sources on obtaining key election data (polling locations, early vote and vote by mail results) during the campaign and making sure it is applied and used on the LAN system;
- Assist with output requests, approvals, exports and uploading of scripts in the LAN system;
- Conduct AFL-CIO LAN trainings for AFL-CIO staff and affiliates;
- Collaborate with other Data and Analytics team members to provide input on the design and implementation of a training curriculum on the LAN and other tools for state affiliates, State Federations, CLCs, AFL-CIO staff, coalition partner organizations and other approved users;
- Clean and standardize a variety of data files, using basic scripting and tools like Microsoft Excel;
- Help to maintain the approved users database and assist in monitoring usage of the LAN, to make sure all user activities conform to the AFL-CIO Affiliate Member Data Agreement;
- Assist users with the usage of other campaign technology;
- Collaborate with other Data and Analytics team members to provide input on improvements and development to the LAN and other member engagement tools;
- Provide technical support to state federations, CLCs, coalition partner organizations and other approved users on the LAN as well as other new member engagement tools;
- Work with phone, mail and other vendors to ensure they’re abiding by the AFL-CIO membership list security policy;
- Provide support, guidance and strategy to AFL-CIO staff and other stakeholders on how best to integrate the LAN and other member engagement tools into their member contact programs;
- Maintenance of data systems and tools;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with the administration of LAN, VAN or Votebuilder for at least one cycle required;
- At least 2 years of field or targeting experience;
- Demonstrated experience with Excel databases and data clean up;
- Knowledge of and experience with both national and local structures of the labor movement and experience working in the labor movement a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and be a self-starter;
- Training skills with experience using a variety of tactics and techniques to train users with a wide spectrum of knowledge (i.e. webinars, building out curriculum modules to level up users, etc.) preferred;
- Ability to work long and extended hours as needed;
- Passion for electoral politics and issue campaigns;
- Knowledge of the labor movement preferred;
- Strong attention to detail a must;
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments;
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team in a support role;
- Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects;
- Ability to work long and extended hours as needed.