Civiqs, the leading online scientific political opinion polling platform, is hiring a Director of Data Science. Every day, Civiqs surveys thousands of people across the United States on politics, campaigns, and current affairs. The scale and quality of Civiqs’ public opinion data, and its online survey panel, is unmatched in the survey industry. As Director of Data Science, you will manage development of Civiqs’ research methodology and data analysis. If you’re interested in political data–and lots of it–we’d love to hear from you.
The Director of Data Science is responsible for the accuracy and efficiency of Civiqs’ research methodology, and for building new features and products based on the automated Civiqs survey platform. The Director will work closely with Civiqs’ team of researchers and software engineers to design and implement sampling methodologies, data integrity protocols, and Bayesian statistical models that run autonomously on AWS infrastructure. We can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Create statistical models to analyze survey data
- Develop sampling algorithms for accuracy and representativeness
- Conceive and write public opinion surveys
- Design features to expand Civiqs’ data products
- Write readable and bug-free code to run in a production environment
- 4+ years statistical programming
- Experience with applied Bayesian statistical modeling, including MRP
- Management of collaborative research projects in an academic or software engineering setting
- Public opinion polling and/or data analysis
- Bayesian probabilistic programming using languages such as pymc3, Stan, or JAGS
- Fluency in statistical programming in R or Python
- Expertise in survey research methodology
- Knowledge of database programming
- Knowledge of version control software such as git
- Interest in campaigns or politics
- Ability to quickly learn new software and data analysis techniques
- A knack for data visualization and the ability to use data to make convincing arguments
- Attention to detail in quantitative analysis and reporting
- Comfortable with a virtual working environment (While we have an office in Oakland, most of our employees work from home and are spread across the country)
- Be tech and internet savvy. We use Slack, Dropbox, and lots of other tools that make work life easier
- Ph.D. in social science or related quantitative field, or Master’s degree plus equivalent level of experience.
Expected salary range: $90,000 - $105,000 This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and is supervised by Civiqs’ Chief Scientist. This position is based out of our Oakland, CA office or remote within the US. Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Civiqs, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective in our work, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace. The atmosphere in our office is energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply.