For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best-in-class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently looking for talented and energetic engineers who would like to work on an exciting set of products to help progressive organizations run more effective voter contact programs. This position will offer a unique opportunity to help build out an enterprise class data processing and analytics infrastructure for scale.
As an engineer at Catalist, you will have a leading role in efforts to discover actionable insights using the largest repository of individual-level data in progressive politics. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your findings will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain automation of custom client data processing and integrations
- Provide third-tier support for client-facing web-based software tools and APIs
- Monitor client jobs and overall system processing load to identify anomalous conditions
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with client jobs, including software use, configuration, and reporting issues
- Perform ad hoc tasks for client data integrations fulfillment as needed
- Deploy software and configuration updates during managed configuration change windows
- Create and maintain documentation for all responsibilities, including custom processes, troubleshooting and triage techniques, and other items as needed
- Assist with reference data management in production and non-production environments
- Assist with verification and validation of applications and data as needed
Skills & Abilities:
- Can-do attitude, strong work ethic, and desire to learn new technical skills
- Dynamic problem solving skills for the understanding, manipulation, transformation, and delivery of data in solutions to clients
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly, to be creative, and to work in a personable manner
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organization skills to work independently under tight deadlines and multiple task assignments
- Working knowledge of SQL, Specific experience with PostGresQL preferred
- Working knowledge of Python, including Python 3
- Working knowledge of Bash scripting
- Solid understanding of data formats, representations, and encodings; e.g. XML, JSON, TSV, UTF-8, etc.
- Working knowledge of Unix command line, specifically file processing and manipulation commands
- Working knowledge of data manipulation in Excel (large data sets, formulas, graphs, and pivot tables)
- Knowledge of Java software deployments, including Tomcat, a plus
- Skill with Hadoop data manipulation technologies (Spark, Hive, Parquet, etc) a plus
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering, Political Science or equivalent experience
- Past political and technology experience is a plus
- Experience with campaign and voter file data tools (e.g. VAN, PDI, Q, or M) a plus Background check required
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Tools S email@example.com with the subject line “Tools Support Engineer.”