The Director of the AFL-CIO Data, Analytics and Infrastructure Resource Department is responsible for leading the work of the entire department (a team of 20+ people) and representing the department internally and with external partners, including affiliate unions, state federations and central labor councils, partner organizations and allies. You will not be managing the day-to-day operations of the team. Instead, you will focus on being a strong advocate for the AFL-CIO as well as building and developing long-term goals for the department.
We are looking for someone committed to building power for the labor movement through technology. We understand the importance that organizing and deep member engagement plays in making labor stronger and you should too. You should be able to navigate competing priorities from multiple partners, be committed to running a program based in an analytical and data grounded mindset, and have a background in data, analytics, digital, web development or other technical field. You should also be comfortable explaining complex ideas to non-technical people and be a skilled presenter.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department’s goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation’s programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. We serve a broad range of partners across the labor movement–from other AFL-CIO departments, to AFL-CIO affiliates, to state and local labor bodies. By investing in our central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, we aim to empower the AFL-CIO’s partners to run stronger and more cost effective campaigns.
Description of Duties:
- Work closely with AFL-CIO leadership, staff, and affiliates to ensure data, analytics and infrastructure are part of a comprehensive strategy to build power for the labor movement;
- Meet with affiliates, understand where they have shared needs, and use those assessments to help guide the priorities of the department;
- Support the Deputy Director in the creation and implementation of the department’s budget;
- Help the department staff define and execute their work, including their work to support the member mobilization program and develop member engagement technology;
- Organize the development of a department work plan and ensure the work plan vision and goals are implemented across the team;
- Build sustained relationships with affiliate unions and AFL-CIO state federations, central labor councils and area labor federations, and vendors;
- Represent the department and the AFL-CIO internally and at conferences and meetings outside of the AFL-CIO;
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of experience managing a medium to large team (at minimum 5 people) with preference for someone who’s overseen a team of technology practitioners (data, analytics, web or software development, etc);
- Background in data, analytics, digital, web development or other technical field;
- Strong presentation skills and proven experience representing the interests of a progressive or labor organization in a leadership role;
- Knowledge of and experience with both national and local labor structures and experience working in the labor movement or working to build and maintain coalitions a strong plus;
- Excellent active listening, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills with the ability to connect with different types of stakeholders, including your staff;
- Experience communicating complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences;
- Experience running a department budget a plus;
- Able to handle multiple politically sensitive projects simultaneously in a rapidly changing environment; Experience managing and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects at the same time;
- Dedicated to building power for the labor movement through technology;
- Recognizes that organizing and deep member engagement are vital to strengthening labor and, ideally, has some experience as an organizer;
- Dedicated to running a data-driven program based on an analytical mindset;
- Committed to team collaboration and fostering a culture of curiosity in learning new things across a team, including supporting and facilitating professional development opportunities;
- Proven commitment to building and leading diverse teams of people and creating a supportive working environment for all team members that is free of discrimination, harassment or otherwise unacceptable behavior;
- Able to work long and extended hours;
- Able to travel when needed.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
O’Keefe Search 336-350-8337 office email@example.com
O’Keefe Search is dedicated to building strength in progressive organizations and to helping social justice, labor, environmental and other progressive activists find the right job.