The Head of Technology will architect technology, products, tools, and data infrastructure to empower hundreds of thousands of grassroots volunteers and donors to have electoral impact and dozens of staff to maximize their time and effectiveness. This position will report to the Managing Director and will manage a team of engineers and data scientists. They will provide leadership, vision, and strategy as well as excellence in execution. The ideal candidate will have deep software development knowledge and experience collaborating with Product, UX, and non-technical roles. This position is part of Swing Left’s Leadership team.
About Swing Left Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our “campaigns-in-waiting” model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistricting—and, of course, the Presidency. In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help take back all the Houses in 2020.
- Work with other team leads to gather requirements and project goals, create plans for development with estimates on timing, and lead team to execute on plans
- Oversee team to establish and define the core user journeys that will inform and guide decisions around our websites and volunteer support tools; refine journeys over time, building on successes and learning from mistakes
- Create growth and optimization projects to find and recruit a wide swath of new users to join the hundreds of thousands of Swing Left members and participate in volunteer efforts
- Lead and implement creative experiments and prototypes, to find bottom-up ways where technology can have an impact on any of our goals or programs
- Lead team in expanding and improving swingleft.org and thelastweekend.org to increase signups, improve conversions, and connect volunteers with meaningful actions they can engage in to have impact on winning important elections
- Work with the Design team to establish and implement user interface patterns and components that are reusable and form the basis for most pages and products
- Establish a pattern library with supporting notes to facilitate future projects and project delegation
- Build tools so that communications, fundraising, and field teams are able to effectively act upon breaking news and rapid response opportunities
- Identify and select third-party tools and products for the organization
- Ensure technology tools and products used are secure and staff follow strong security practices
- Build infrastructure for staff to have access to key data and performance metrics
- Lead team in building software to further refine and personalize our email program and ensure all of our mailings are highly relevant, timely, and effective
- Hire, onboard, train, and manage additional skilled employees and volunteers to support the Product team as needed