Location: Washington, D.C. Reports to: Director of Operations & Strategic Partnerships
Position Summary Working with the Director of Operations & Strategic Partnerships, and other directors on Digital, Communications, and Data teams, content experts and additional staff as appropriate, oversee, support, and build out DAGA’s data science platform.
- Disruption of traditional political datasets and ideals
- Be curious – mine large datasets, and programmatically extract data, with a lens specifically focused on the office of Attorney General
- Continue to build upon the DAGA’s Cloud-based Proprietary Data Lake, utilize legacy data and continue to add and scale data as acquired, discovered, or developed
- Help creating data infrastructures for new products, and DAGA business units
- Utilize developed DAGA tools, and develop additional custom tools to leverage across the DAGA platform and assist campaigns, and other stakeholders
- Construct algorithms and other programming to efficiently analyze, apply treatments, and parse large datasets
- Scrub, wrangle, synthesize and integrate from various APIs and other datasets
- Building machine learning models from legacy election data and proprietary DAGA Data Lake
- Use machine learning to create insights, new products and voter targeting methods
- Help source and manage contractors/fellows with different and supplemental skillsets for arrogate data science and organizational goals
- Assist in structuring and designing rich data visualizations to communicate data to Attorneys General, Campaigns, strategic partners, and voters at large
- Help investigate the impact of new technologies on the future of electioneering
- Collaborate with other data scientists at partner organizations
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
Examples/samples of work requested
DAGA is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, for example: k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc depending on specific project requirements excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as D3.js, GGplot, etc.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- General experience scripting and programming
- Applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Other essential and helpful skills include: AWS, Python, Tableau/Microsoft BI, Spark, HTML, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Self-starter – ability to build products and work datasets with own initiative
- Flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and operate effectively in a fluid and fast-paced environment
- Project management skills that enable the juggling of multiple tasks, allocating and optimizing resources and managing timelines
- Sense of humor and positive attitude
- Commitment to DAGA’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Specialization/Certification in data analysis or various data science methods