Code for America builds technology to help government services work for the people who need them most. Code for America’s Data Scientists use a wide range of quantitative research methods to improve user experiences and outcomes across the workforce, criminal justice, and safety net services that Code for America delivers. In this role you will use diverse data sources to identify and evaluate opportunities for new services, define opportunities to improve existing services, and test hypotheses for improving user experiences or outcomes. To do so, you will work closely with cross-functional teams including qualitative user researchers, designers, software engineers, product managers, and program managers. This role is based in San Francisco, is a full-time opportunity and currently reports directly into the Data Science Manager
- A graduate degree in a social science discipline (e.g., MPP, MPH, psychology, economics, sociology, demography, political science)
- Expert fluency with pandas, R, or another modern statistics suite
- Deep, varied experience with data wrangling and cleaning
- Solid understanding of a wide range of statistical concepts
- Ability to clearly communicate findings to experts or a general audience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our ideal candidate is: An intellectually curious, solid researcher
- Conscientious, detail-oriented, and a critical thinker
- Can point to work illustrating a range of statistical techniques across domains
- Interested in a wide range of policy issues and social problems An ideal collaborator
- Comfortable sharing early work to refine analytical ideas and approaches; comfortable seeking out help when in doubt
- Enjoys collaborating - including with PMs, engineers, and qualitative researchers
- Enjoys learning from and teaching others Practical and focused on maximizing how much their work helps our users
- Manages time well, prefers getting to “good enough” on a few projects rather than “perfect” on a single project
- Doesn’t hesitate to seek out new data or methods when doing so might improve user experiences or outcomes
- Experience with and comfortable managing a portfolio of projects
- Capable of quickly scoping and designing new research projects
Extra Credit: Personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
Benefits Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
About Code for America Code for America is a startup non-profit with a great culture and a huge opportunity to make a difference. We work in cross-functional teams, collaboratively and agilely and value high-quality, user-friendly work product. We strive to learn from everything we do and regularly host talks from leaders in the civic technology movement. We respect each other, work hard, and have a great time together. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission over the next few years.