The Lab @ DC is seeking a Data Scientist who can use their expertise in causal inference and program evaluation to make a positive, lasting difference for DC residents. Join a team of experienced Social Scientists, Data Scientists, and Operations Analysts at the forefront of evidence-based policy. Work with granular data from a variety of policy areas, including public safety, economic security, housing and homelessness, public health, and education. The results you generate will directly inform decisions at the highest levels of DC government while allowing you to see your impact on DC residents. In short, it’s rigorous quantitative social science that makes a difference for those that need it most.
What we’re looking for:
- A team player, who wants to use scientific tools to make a positive difference in DC residents’ lives, particularly for historically disadvantaged populations.
- Strong quantitative social science skills, including statistics, mathematics, econometrics, political methodology, program evaluation, and/or experimental methods.
- A completed Ph.D. We are also prepared to work with an exceptional A.B.D. Ph.D. candidate — we’ve had staff successfully complete their dissertations during their time on the team. Candidates with a Masters who have done substantial Ph.D.-level work will also be considered.
- Strong R or Python skills (be ready to share organized, annotated code).
- Demonstrable expertise in making causal inferences from observational data.
- Exposure to, or strong interest in, machine learning.
- Someone who can start in DC no later than March 1st.