Position Title: Data Action Coordinator Location: Durham, NC Schedule: Full-time Salary Range: $50,000-$65,000/year depending on experience, plus benefits
DataWorks NC, a 501 c 3 neighborhood data intermediary, seeks a Data Action Coordinator to work full time based at our office in Durham. This is an exciting and dynamic opportunity to participate in multiple projects, advance technical and communications skills, and help build an organizational culture dedicated to the use of data for racial and economic justice.
About the Position The Data Action Coordinator will serve DataWorks’ community partners directly and report to the executive director of the organization. This full-time position will follow regular 9-5 business hours with some evening and occasional weekend meetings or events.
This position’s core responsibilities are:
- Cultivating supportive relationships with neighborhood and community-based organizations;
- Developing curricula and conduct workshops with community groups that strengthen neighborhood awareness of and comfort in wielding data about their experiences;
- Developing communications materials that merge data in stories, amplifying community voices in collaborative media pieces using data, images, audio and video;
- Organizing and facilitating community learning opportunities and making meaningful connections when appropriate between neighborhood groups, service providers and advocates;
- Documenting key learnings from this work to retain community memory of it and inform next steps;
- Responding to one-off data requests and partner meeting requests as-needed;
- Providing support for data updates within the Neighborhood Compass and other tools.
Skills & Experience The Data Action Coordinator will engage in the use of quantitative information by community partner groups and individuals. We recognize this type of work requires a diversity of skills – candidates with community organizing skills and experience as well as a desire to advance technical skills are encouraged to apply.
The following skills and experience are most desired for this position:
- Familiarity with Durham, its history and its communities;
- Experience engaging in outreach to economically and culturally diverse people;
- Experience and comfort with group and meeting facilitation;
- Willingness and ability to participate on nights and weekends based on community partner preferences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in both English and Spanish, especially in the context of challenging community issues;
- Comfort with or desire to learn GIS and statistical methods, including programs like PostgreSQL and PostGIS, QGIS and R;
- Graduate education in fields such as (but not limited to) urban studies, sociology, planning, or geography will be desirable, but so will deep experience in place-based organizing, housing or community-based research.
To apply for this position Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. These materials may also be mailed to: DataWorks NC, P.O. Box 1341 Durham NC 27702.
DataWorks is an employer that embraces a diverse, multicultural work environment. We seek people of all racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people of diverse gender identities as employees and collaborators.