Everytown for Gun Safety, the nation’s largest gun violence prevention advocacy group, is seeking a Data Scientist. The Research Department studies how gun violence occurs in America and identifies the best policies and interventions to prevent and address it. In this role, the Data Scientist will need to understand and communicate about the various types of gun violence, who it impacts, and how it impacts different communities and populations differently. You must be committed to addressing gun violence in diverse communities around the country.
The Data Scientist will be the policy data lead for the organization, responsible for advanced data management, analysis, and visualization. The Data Scientist reports to the Principal Researcher.
We’ll trust you to take on the following responsibilities:
- Serve as the lead data analyst on the team, responsible for the accuracy and appropriate use of all calculations and findings
- Conduct original analysis and identify new avenues for statistical analysis on gun violence prevention, policies, and interventions to support Everytown for Gun Safety advocacy and research products and campaigns
- Analyze large datasets using various software packages (R, STATA, SPSS, SQL, Python, and/or others)
- Oversee staff to obtain, organize, and update datasets of frequent reference (e.g., CDC fatal and nonfatal injury data; FBI Supplementary Homicide Report data; FBI background check data; and other federal-, state-, and city-level data related to gun violence prevention)
- Optimize and ensure integrity of all databases managed across the organization
- Lead efforts to identify new datasets and opportunities for original analysis, as well as their application across Departments
- Direct and implement data visualization efforts and review all products from a data perspective
- Serve as the subject matter expert on economic analysis of gun violence
- Serve as a mentor to the team and identify training and development opportunities
- Contribute to the publication of analytical reports, compelling advocacy materials, and other research-based products to support Everytown’s legislative and outreach/advocacy goals
- Clearly translate the implications of research findings (from Everytown original research and the work of scholars in the field) so that practitioners and policymakers can implement new laws effectively and enforce existing policies