At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
The Voting Information Project (VIP) coordinates with state election offices to publish nationally-standardized information about where and how to vote—data that powers everything from Google’s polling place search to our text message and email reminders to TurboVote users. The Data Fellow will work with the VIP team for the 2020 election cycle, assisting with collecting, cleaning, and ensuring the accuracy of a nation’s worth of election data.
- Work with Democracy Works technical staff to collect and organize elections data from state and local election offices
- Assist with standardizing & cleaning datasets in spreadsheets or tabular formats
- Perform quality assurance checks on the information to assure accuracy and completeness of the data
- Research partner and user-reported errors
- Extremely attentive to details
- Proficient at working with data
- Able to organize non-centralized, non-standard information into a coherent format
- Knowledgeable on a basic level of American politics, elections, and/or election administration
- Skilled at managing competing priorities
- Happy to pitch in wherever help is needed
You have experience:
- Working with Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or other data management software
- Communicating across different areas of expertise and working in teams
- Working on tight deadlines and quickly turning around deliverables