Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org), founded by computer scientists in 2004, is a leading national not-for-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections.
The unprecedented events of the 2016 election cycle focused the nation’s attention once again on the machinery and infrastructure of democracy. As Robert Mueller declared, “There were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our elections. That allegation deserves the attention of every American.” This unprecedented threat to our voting systems emphasizes the need for a national response to strengthen our electoral processes especially now as we approach the 2020 Presidential election.
Verified Voting, in partnership with the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, is conducting a research project to examine the impact of the types of voting equipment, polling place technologies on marginalized communities specifically previously designated states under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, proficient in analyzing large volumes of public data, report writing, and possesses strong project and time management skills. This project is expected to last six months and produce an interim summary of findings, data analysis and a final report. At the conclusion of the project, we will evaluate for engagement in potential full time data analyst position. Candidates who are located in Philadelphia preferred.
- B.A. or B.S. degree at minimum with strong statistical analysis skills; social science and/or advocacy background strongly encouraged; familiarity with civil rights, voting rights, or election technology a plus.
- Proficiency with R or similar open source data analysis tools (such as data analysis packages in python)
- Experience using Github or similar version control application
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, process, design and present data for inclusion in written reports and recommendations. Publication or article credits a plus.
- Strong ability to write for non-technical audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates integrity and respect for confidentiality, upholds organizational values, shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and promotes a harassment-free environment.
- We value multiple perspectives and viewpoints from diverse constituencies because we recognize that diversity informs more effective solutions. We value the wide-ranging perspectives that our colleagues and collaborators bring to the table and we create an environment for all voices to be heard. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit resume and short cover letter regarding your interest in the position to: email@example.com. This position pays $50/hour (depending on experience level); up to 30 hours per week, including updates and check-ins. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.