Public Wise, a newly formed 501(c)(4) organization whose goal is to ensure that government reflects the will of the people by expanding democracy and promoting voter access and participation, is searching for a Director of Research. Public Wise’s strategic goals are to:
- Critically analyze the effects of proposed and existing legislation, policy, and practices on voter turnout and advocate for those that promote increased voting;
- Generate new data in the field of voter rights where gaps in available research exist;
- Provide resources to and build capacity of existing organizations that are doing frontline work to expand voter access and eligibility. Resources can include but are not limited to financial support, organizing capacity, and research;
- Identify and address barriers to voting and representation that are not currently being addressed in the existing voter engagement landscape;
- Public Wise is based in New York City but will work with partners across the US.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying and assessing emerging policy and research gaps in the field and potential innovations and opportunities for Public Wise;
- Building and maintaining meaningful relationships with external partners and allies including voter rights organizations, economic and democracy policy organizations, academics, and policymakers that span the ideological spectrum from far left progressive to right of center;
- Maintaining knowledge of the body of research pertaining to voter rights, democracy, and voter disenfranchisement and completing reports for the Founder, Executive Director and other Public Wise staff to aid in strategic planning and program implementation;
- In partnership with the organization Founder, overseeing the overall execution of all policy and research projects and publications including major reports, data analysis, infographics and other visuals; coordinating research content and report releases with campaigns, legal and communications functions;
- In collaboration with the Founder and Executive Director, working to build the research work of Public Wise;
- Coordinating the work of research and data analysis consultants who contract with Public Wise
- This position will report to the Executive Director with supervision and technical support from the organizational Founder.
Salary: Starting at $125,000
Location: New York City, NY