About the Voter Participation Center and the Center for Voter Information:
For the last 16 years, the Voter Participation Center (VPC), a 501(c)(3) civic engagement organization, has led the way in recognizing and harnessing the potential power of the Rising American Electorate (RAE) – unmarried women, people of color, and young people – as a vital voting bloc. VPC has positioned itself as the leading experimental and scientific civic engagement organization by accumulating more than a decade’s worth of knowledge and experience in registering and turning out the new majority of eligible voters. VPC’s programs have consistently proven to be some of the most impactful and cost-effective—and to date VPC has registered more than 4 million Americans to vote. VPC continues to innovate with its approach and techniques to impact greater civic engagement, registration, and turnout.
The Center for Voter Information (CVI) is a separate but affiliated progressive 501(c)(4) nonprofit that works to engage and persuade both the RAE as well as the broader electorate.
VPC/CVI seeks either a Data Engineer or Senior Data Engineer (depending on level of experience) who will be at the forefront of VPC/CVI’s effort to modernize and upgrade its data infrastructure, including the development of a new and more efficient data model to manage, process, and distribute data; implement, test, and maintain pipelines in the data warehouse and analytics environment to improve data quality and integrity, and develop flexible pipeline solutions for data integration, processing, and analysis. The data engineer will work closely with the Data & Analytics and Program teams to mine, integrate, and analyze terabytes of data from a variety of sources, such as voter registration, commercial, and VPC/CVI’s historical program data. The data engineer will build tools to automate repetitive processes that are currently performed manually, and deploy high-quality data pipelines that will enable the teams to work smarter and faster, empowering VPC/CVI to draw better actionable insights and run stronger and more cost effective civic engagement, registration, and turnout programs.
An ideal candidate has deep passion for increasing voter participation among underrepresented constituencies, and is a collaborator who thrives in a team environment and takes ownership of the work by actively contributes to improving processes, workflows, and communication.
- Design, implement, test, deploy, and maintain data engineering solutions and pipelines in support of VPC/CVI’s data warehouse and analytics environment that are stable, secure, and scalable
- Streamline and debug existing codebase to improve performance and ensure data integrity
- Implement quality assurance practices such as version control and testing
- Design and build tools and workflows to automate repeated data processing tasks including data ingestion from various sources, and reporting and data exchanges with our partners
- Implement and maintain cybersecurity best practices, with an eye towards the evolving threat landscape
- Help teammates troubleshoot their SQL and Python code and provide training on those skills
- Proactively identify technology and tools gaps, and discover better solutions
- Assist in analytics projects by performing data manipulation/munging on a wide variety of data
- Collaborate with data scientists to productionize ML models
- Generate new data sources through web scraping and API calls
- Design and build automated dashboards and reports to inform program decisions
- Support the adoption of industry best practices for data management and governance
Salary: $90-100k for the Data Engineer position, and $100-120k for the Senior Data Engineer position–both commensurate with experience
Location: Washington, DC or Remote