Rewire.News (www.rewire.news) is a nonprofit media organization devoted to publishing evidence-based news, analysis, commentary, and investigative reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. Our work is based on the core roles of journalism in a democratic society: to speak truth to power, foster public knowledge, and provide facts on issues more commonly shrouded in misinformation and ideology. Rewire.News is an independent 501(c)(3) organization and an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all races, ethnic groups, and genders.
Rewire.News seeks a versatile, organized director of technology to oversee our technical operation and assets. The ideal candidate will be a resourceful self-starter with a good sense of humor who can function as both a one-person show and as part of the broader team. The Director of Technology will:
- Be responsible for technological operation, upkeep, and effectiveness of Rewire.News at all times, which includes a website, social media platforms, and multimedia assets.
- Be responsible for anticipating, analyzing, creating a plan of action, and planning execution and quality control for problems with or updates needed to programs, coding, structure, and functionality of the site, or quickly seeking expert help to do so.
- Hire/secure technical contractors and vendors and manage the relationships by developing deadline-driven workplans and ensuring that the work is completed on-time, on-budget, and to a high standard.
- Maintain a unified style for the website and our other platforms via a range of tasks including formatting, multimedia integration, and organization via metadata.
- Monitor website analytics, analyze and prepare regular, actionable reports, including comparing results to current research on progress-related elements with related websites and website metrics.
- Provide technical support to maintain email lists and, as needed, newsletter products.
- Upgrade (proactively and as needed) and otherwise maintain WordPress backend, module updates and best practices.
- Oversee and manage the execution with outside consultants and experts on the development of new features and capabilities of the website using WordPress and complementary technologies and methods.
- Support Rewire.News staff with hardware and software needs.
- Provide other technical support as needed
Location: Washington, DC or New York City, NY