For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working closely with Client Services, Data, and Technology teams staff to understand and shape functional software requirements towards verifiability
- Create and maintain comprehensive and topical test plans
- Create and maintain automated regression test suites for functional testing of Catalist software products
- Developing and maintain test documentation
- Provide feedback on software product quality that drives production release
- Find and elaborate on software defects to produce actionable issues for software developers
- Must be able to adjust working schedule (occasional evenings and weekends) as workload demands
- Must be able to work independently and have a passion for finding bugs
Skills & Abilities: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Hands-on experience developing test automation scripts for web-based applications, Java applications, and REST APIs
- Conversant skill in Python scripting and coding
- Strong experience with a test tool set such as Selenium or Postman
- Ability to write automation test code for functional testing of JVM applications
- Conversant understanding of Java and JVM application architecture, including build and deployment processes
- Experience with testing on multiple browsers and platforms (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) required
- Experience with continuous integration tools like Jenkins or Bamboo a plus
- Experience with cloud-based performance testing tools a plus
- Conversant understanding of modern web application architecture and components. Experience with React a plus.
- Familiar with performing validation, regression, and “smoke tests” lower down the application stack
- Sufficient familiarity with SQL to be able to query databases directly to confirm/disprove application functionality and to provision appropriate test scenarios
- Demonstrated ability for organizing and creating test cases and test plans to show coverage and track progress and project health
- Must have at least 5 years experience with test automation and quality assurance with JVM and/or web-based software products
- Experience with web application testing and web-based API testing required
- Experience with at least one RDBMS - PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, etc. required
- Experience with columnar or NoSQL databases a plus (Vertica, Greenplum, RedShift, HBase, Cassandra, etc)
- Experience with deployment and enterprise use of Redhat / CentOS Linux platforms a plus
- Background check required
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Science, Engineering, or other technical discipline strongly preferred.
Location: Washington, DC