Public Wise, a newly formed 501(c)(4) organization whose goal is to ensure that government reflects the will of the people by expanding democracy and promoting voter access and participation, is searching for a Director of Research. Public Wise’s strategic goals are to:
- Critically analyze the effects of proposed and existing legislation, policy, and practices on voter turnout and advocate for those that promote increased voting;
- Generate new data in the field of voter rights where gaps in available research exist;
- Provide resources to and build capacity of existing organizations that are doing frontline work to expand voter access and eligibility. Resources can include but are not limited to financial support, organizing capacity, and research;
- Identify and address barriers to voting and representation that are not currently being addressed in the existing voter engagement landscape;
- Public Wise is based in New York City but will work with partners across the US.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying and assessing emerging policy and research gaps in the field and potential innovations and opportunities for Public Wise;
- Building and maintaining meaningful relationships with external partners and allies including voter rights organizations, economic and democracy policy organizations, academics, and policymakers that span the ideological spectrum from far left progressive to right of center;
- Maintaining knowledge of the body of research pertaining to voter rights, democracy, and voter disenfranchisement and completing reports for the Founder, Executive Director and other Public Wise staff to aid in strategic planning and program implementation;
- In partnership with the organization Founder, overseeing the overall execution of all policy and research projects and publications including major reports, data analysis, infographics and other visuals; coordinating research content and report releases with campaigns, legal and communications functions;
- In collaboration with the Founder and Executive Director, working to build the research work of Public Wise;
- Coordinating the work of research and data analysis consultants who contract with Public Wise
- This position will report to the Executive Director with supervision and technical support from the organizational Founder.
- Proven ability to identify and develop new research initiatives and interventions. A well-developed understanding of the voter rights landscape and track record of identifying gaps in the field.
- Advanced and creative research and policy development skills. Extensive research experience, with demonstrated success in leading sophisticated research and policy initiatives from start to finish. Superior writing and research skills and high standards in quality of research
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively and passion for using data as a tool toward expanding voter access and rights.
- Experience supervising staff and working with consultants.
- Strong Existing Network within the research community.
- Masters degree or higher in statistics, applied math or analogous technical field
- Expert level proficiency in R programming or equivalent statistics package
- Ability to write effectively for broad audiences a plus. Experience can include blogging, op-eds, reports, briefing papers, or other similar outlets.
- Experience in public speaking including but not limited to presenting your work a plus.
- Strong preference for candidates based in NYC.
Salary: Commensurate with experience with salary range starting at $125k.
Location: New York, NY