Ingenuity was founded in 2011 to increase arts education access, quality and equity in Chicago Public Schools (CPS), the country’s third-largest school district. Our mission is to ensure that every child, in every grade, in every CPS school has access to a high-quality arts education. We are passionate supporters of, and believers in, the power of arts education to transform the lives of students in our public schools. In partnership with CPS leaders and schools, and Chicago’s vibrant community of museums, cultural institutions and community-based arts organizations, Ingenuity is driving systemic change in CPS arts education through four interconnected strategies: data, professional learning, advocacy, and grant-making.
A large part of Ingenuity’s recent work has centered around the buildout of artlook®, a web platform that unifies data from district operations, community agencies, and individual schools to track growth across schools and time. After serving as a springboard to exponential gains in Chicago Public Schools, Ingenuity is now working with state and national partners to bring artlook® to communities nationwide. Learn more at artlookmap.com.
Data & Product Associate
Ingenuity is looking to fill a Data & Product Associate position to support its rapid expansion of artlook within Chicago and beyond. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, possess strong analytical skills, and be excited about advancing equity and access in public education through a data-driven approach.
The Data & Product Associate is a member of Ingenuity’s Data & Research team and reports to the Director of Data & Research. This position is responsible for carrying out work in two distinct but interrelated areas: (1) data collection, analysis, and reporting and (2) artlook platform development.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Reporting
The Data & Product Associate supports data collection through artlook® by compiling administrative datasets from school districts and implementing strategies to increase engagement in artlook’s data collection tools. Additional data management responsibilities include cleaning, tracking, and updating data; compiling data for analysis; and maintaining technical documentation. The Data & Product Associate carries out analyses and produces compelling visualizations to support key artlook® users, including funders, policymakers, district administrators, and more. The Data & Product Associate also produces data insights that inform and support strategic initiatives internal to Ingenuity. For a few examples of typical analytical and reporting projects, visit https://www.ingenuity-inc.org/data-research/creative-schools-certification/. artlook® platform development
The Data & Product Associate plays a critical role in the success of artlook by ensuring the platform is built to address the individual needs of users. The person in this role must therefore strive to understand the artlook® platform—and the data collected through the platform—inside and out. The Data & Product Associate writes technical requirements for new artlook® features, finds and reports bugs, and conceptualizes future development opportunities in line with trends in the education technology sector. The ideal candidate does not necessarily need formal training or experience in software development or information systems to carry out these tasks successfully, but intellectual curiosity and a passion for using technology to improve access and equity in public education are essential.
A successful candidate will be a detail-oriented, strategic thinker who is eager to learn new skills and able to mix abstract reasoning with pragmatic implementation, clearly articulate analytical findings, and field questions with ease. You’ll be able to converse in “data speak” to research experts and also translate key data-related ideas to non-data-experts. Additionally, the Data & Product Associate will need to be comfortable presenting findings and discussing Ingenuity’s data work in front of varying audiences. Note that Ingenuity conducts its analyses using R (https://www.r-project.org/). The successful candidate must be experienced using R or a similar tool and/or must be excited about learning to code and operate in this environment.
Priority Skills and Experience:
- Strong project management skills: determining the appropriate processes, workflows, and timelines to accomplish projects, and meeting deadlines without issue.
- Highly skilled using data science software such as R, Python, or Stata and willingness to work in R.
- Able to synthesize and analyze data from a variety of sources, to interpret research and educate stakeholders about emerging findings and issues, and to understand and communicate the limitations of data and research.
- Can maintain a positive attitude and work effectively with diverse populations while leading projects that involve numerous tasks and multiple teams.
- Able to work independently with little supervision and see a work product through from start to finish.
- A creative, critical thinker and problem solver with an ability to prioritize.
- Effective public presentation skills, including the ability to simplify complex topics for presentations to teachers, arts partners, funders, and other audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- At least 2 years’ experience coding in R, Python, Stata, or other statistical analysis program preferable; demonstrated interest in coding / learning to code a must.
- Advanced education in data science, public policy, education policy, arts administration, or business administration desired.
- Exceptional, effective and persuasive written and oral communications skills.
- Applicants should be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Working at Ingenuity
Working at Ingenuity means becoming part of a talented team of passionate, smart people who value inclusivity and innovation, are dedicated to Ingenuity’s mission, and are always looking for new ways to advance the arts in Chicago Public Schools. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and a unique opportunity to work with people and organizations in arts education throughout Chicago and beyond. Candidates who possess flexibility, maturity, vision, personal fortitude, and a sense of humor will find it a pleasure to work here.
Salary: Not listed
Location: Chicago, IL
[Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org]