America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote. Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day. America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states. America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process. America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2020. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states session-by-session and election-by-election. America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition will deploy their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort which will target millions of voters in key states.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include: Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships. Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process. Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader to serve as the National Director of Data and Targeting. The Director will be responsible for managing the data, targeting analytics, and tools and information systems used by America Votes and its partners to achieve shared goals. Working with the America Votes’ political, field and planning departments, the Director will leverage data and targeting to help design, implement and evaluate issue and electoral campaigns. The Director will be responsible for managing the national data and targeting team and provide guidance and development to a team of state data directors and serve as a leader and trainer for America Votes staff across the 21-state network and with national partner groups. This is a fantastic opportunity for a collaborative leader with strong technical and political skills to serve in a key role at a high-impact organization that will play a critical role in the 2020 elections.
- Manage the national data team and external vendors
- Oversight of all data systems to ensure full operating capacity including voter file pipeline, data ingestion, and reporting infrastructure
- Assess partner training and resource needs and ensure partner organizations receive training and technical assistance
- Provide guidance and development to a team of state data directors by fostering a culture of learning and creating opportunities for sharing best practices
- Work with the America Votes political, field, and planning departments to leverage data towards designing, implementing and evaluating issue and electoral campaigns, including:
- Identify, secure, and utilize appropriate data sources for planning and reporting inputs
- Create and maintain information management systems, ensuring that planning and evaluation resources are up to date and available to appropriate parties.
- Ensure that reporting products and communications align with program objectives, and that these products meet user needs in both content and style
- Set agendas and create tools for post-cycle reporting, and multi-cycle reporting and planning
- Assist in designing experiments that aid in developing best practices around resource deployment
- Drive long-term planning for America Votes’ data operation that builds long-term solutions to meet national and state-level needs
- Convene partner and AV state data staff around sharing best practices and new innovations in data and tools
- Additional duties as assigned
- Strong staff and project management skills including managing multiple staff, project timeline management and reporting
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and across multiple departments
- Ability to work with staff and allies with a wide array of skill levels in data
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments to strategize, plan and problem solve
- Understanding of and experience with direct voter contact programs
- Experience in the use of data and analytics to drive effective decision-making
- In-depth knowledge of voter files and common data quality concerns
- Familiarity with the use of Census data, including spatial data
- Ability to produce consumer-friendly reports and visual depictions of data
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) skills and familiarity with online electoral/advocacy tools and constituent relationship management tools
- Experience using at least one of the following: Tableau, Python (e.g. Pandas), R, D3.js. is preferred
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political, field, and organizing settings
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and excellent judgment
- Deeply organized, reliable and highly attentive to detail
- Self-starter and willing to work long irregular ‘campaign-style’ hours and travel as needed
- Collaborative leadership style with an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Spirit of service and a sense of humor preferred
Salary: Commensurate with experience with salary range from $120-$125k.
Location: Washington, DC