This is a senior position responsible for both software architecture and writing, deploying, and maintaining code. As a member of the Analytics and Engineering Team within the Data Systems and Analytics (DSA) Department, you will work with Engineering Team colleagues to develop a membership system, texting platform, and other critical software.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The principal responsibility of the Senior Software Engineer will be to contribute to the Data Systems and Analytics department’s membership system software development and texting platform by writing code.
The Senior Software Engineer will also perform a wide range of duties assigned by the International Union, including but not limited to the following:
- Assist the Senior Data Architect in interpreting architectural needs into working software, including leading code review and explaining new concepts to other members of the Engineering team
- Execute projects under the guidance of the Data Systems and Analytics department leadership and in collaboration with internal teams and external stakeholders
- Review and debug code
- Document the progress of software development
- Advise SEIU on software development best practices and appropriate technologies
- Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission
This position reports to the Senior Data Architect in the Data Systems and Analytics Department.
Education and Experience:
At least 4 years of related work experience or combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 4+ years of experience working primarily in Software developing
- 3+ years of experience with Python 3 (3.6+ preferred) including familiarity with concepts like: async/await, Type Hints, dataclasses, WSGI, ASGI, functools, itertools
- Thorough knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming concepts and Software Patterns
- Experience with moderate to large codebases and microservices
- Strong knowledge of MySQL, Flask, an ORM such as SQLAlchemy or Peewee (2.x preferred)
- Strong understanding of REST API Development including familiarity with concepts like: Query Parameters, Error Handling, JSON, OpenAPI/SwaggerUI, REST Verbs
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot NodeJS
- Experience in an Agile Environment, preferably using JIRA
- Experience with: pytest, AWS (EKS, S3, EC2, MSK, Aurora, EBS, Lambda), Kubernetes, Redis, Marshmallow, Pydantic, FastAPI/Starlette, Faust, Kafka, Helm, Gitlab-CI, NodeJS 8.10+, React 15.6+, thinky, knex
- Familiarity with Analytics, Streaming ETL, and/or Member Data Management Concepts
- A high level of judgment, leadership, and commitment to the goals of SEIU and its leaders
- Knowledge of labor unions and their operations is helpful
Physical Requirements: Work is generally performed in an office setting. Occasional extended hours and travel required.
Probationary Period: Twelve (12) months
Salary: $78,162 - $92,632 per year
Location: Southern California (Los Angeles/San Diego), Northern California (San Francisco/Oakland/Sacramento), Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Denver, CO, Houston, TX, Chicago, IL, Minneapolis, MN, Milwaukee, WI, St. Louis, MO, Columbus, OH, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, PA, Richmond, VA, Baltimore, MD, New York City, NY, or Boston, MA