Empower is a non-profit startup that has raised millions from people who care about the health of our democracy. Our donors include the Rockefeller family, the Ford Foundation, and many others. Our core metrics have been shooting up and to the right.
We’re dramatically increasing civic engagement, voter registration, and voter turnout in swing states for the 2020 elections. If you’re a talented data analyst, this is an extremely high-leverage opportunity for you to personally help make a difference
We’re looking for a someone who has:
- Huge expertise in SQL: given access to a relational database, can answer any question the data allows for!
- Knowledge of political work and VAN
- Empathy and communication: is able to figure out what people need, not what they say they want.
- Clear writing
- Participating in the daily tech support check-in call with the CEO and tech support ticket manager in order to review short-term needs and evaluate if any responses require data analysis, exports, or further escalation.
- Handling any exports or data analysis needs that come up (internal and external)
- Working directly with national data directors of larger organizations or coalitions to ensure proper data pipelines.
Additional possible projects
- We’re a team of 15 full-time people, and so there are many possible opportunities for someone with an analytical mindset to contribute. If you’re interested / able / up for it, here are some possibilites:
- Helping refine our north-star metric (roughly: relational conversations weighted by electoral importance)
- Helping establish metrics that are leading indicators of our north-star metric Research
*Participating in a research project funded by the Ford Foundation in conjunction with the Analyst Insititue to review internal histor ical data to discover trends
- Calculate cost efficacy by estimating how much field organizer time is spent to get a certain result
- Examining product analytics (via Mixpanel) to discover useful insights (funnel analysis, retention, etc)
- Examining product analytics to help evaluate particular features
- Noticing patterns and deficiencies in the product and serving as a voice aiding in product prioritization
- Writing up documents that communicate information about new features to existing users and internal staff
- Creating a knowledgebase based on common questions and support tickets
- Look for patterns in the data to identify trends, flag organizations which may be succeeding or failing, and work with the training staff to intervene or congratulate those groups if needed. If an organization has achieved a large growth spurt, work with training staff to determine why and if there are common trends that overlap and could be generalized to others.
- Building data pipelines
- Writing scripts to handle common tasks
Who would be a good fit?
- This opportunity is perfect for someone who has written extensive SQL in the past, has knowledge of VAN, and wants to use their skills to help protect democracy by electing leaders who won’t imprison children, abandon allies, or destroy democratic norms.
- We’re an equal opportunity employer and we won’t discriminate based on age, sex, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual preference. Women, persons of color, and people from the LGBT community are all strongly encouraged to apply.