Role Overview VoteAmerica is seeking a full time Product Manager (or Senior Product Manager) to take the lead in managing and prioritizing the end-to-end development of our voter registration, vote-by-mail, and get-out-the-vote (GOTV) web applications. You’ll work across teams (program, research, fundraising, and partnerships) to identify areas where technology can drive innovation and efficiency. To thrive in this role, the candidate will be an expert problem-solver, with a background that supports a healthy mix of product strategist and project manager.
With less than 150 days left until Election Day, you’ll be tasked with becoming a domain expert in a short period of time – scouring election codes, speaking with election administrators, and holding your own in a room of voter turnout experts. An adept project manager, you’ll be at home managing the product roadmap collaboratively with a team of all-remote engineers, building a system of planning and reflection that drives the iterative process without skipping a beat. The ideal candidate will be comfortable regularly alternating between 30,000 ft strategic guidance and perfecting our UX/UI experience down to the smallest of improvements.
You’ll be working primarily with the Tech team in partnership with the Director of Technology, who has had nearly 15 years’ experience developing civic-focused technologies and web tools. You’ll also have a lot of interaction with our CEO, a long-time product manager. This is both good (she’s great!) and potentially irritating (she’s very good at your job!), but it’ll be fine, promise.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Define product strategy: Develop product strategy for a full-suite of voter turnout tools that solve real-time gaps in election technology. Work effectively with customers, partners, executives, stakeholders, and Technology teams to build a well defined and integrated roadmap to deliver on the strategy.
- Know your customer: Our customer is the voter. You’ll bring your political acumen together with a sharp technical sense to build tools that optimize for usability and accessibility.
- Drive product lifecycle: Collaborate with Technology, Program, and Partnership teams to drive the product lifecycle from concept to customer success; Define and prioritize the backlog for engineering teams, write the user stories, and do whatever it takes to fuel the productivity and effectiveness of the engineering teams.
- Think strategically and make smart decisions: Analyze and synthesize the breakthroughs happening across the civic technology space, with an eye towards innovation.
- Act as a thought partner: Embed yourself across teams, specifically Program and Research, to act as a technical advisor, drive innovation, and scale identified solutions.
You should meet several of the following minimum requirements:
- 5+ years of progressive responsibility and experience as a Product Manager or similar role working on a user-facing web application
- Experience creating strategic product roadmaps, allocating limited resources under tight deadlines, and working with cross-functional teams to establish priorities
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills—able to communicate fluently with both technical and nontechnical staff, and drive clarity in cross-team discussions
- Exceptional project management skills
Bonus points if you have:
- Background in the foundations of UX/UI design
- Prior experience working in politics, activism, or online organizing
- Double bonus points for experience building voter turnout technology
- A deep and abiding love for open source technology
Some of the benefits of working here:
- Outspoken, queer, female founder and CEO
- Short commute. We all work from home and it is just the best.
- Parent friendly policies. If you need to take 3-5pm off every day to get your kids from school and make after school snacks, we’re totally cool with that.
- Excellent medical coverage. Full health, dental, and vision for employees and generous employer subsidies for dependent children.
- Generous time off. Unlimited paid vacation with leadership approval.
- Retirement. We offer a 401(k) because we want you to retire one day.
- Highly competent, down to earth, and humble team.
- Awesome slack channels. #pets, #politics, #memes and #random are our favs.
Salary: $110K - $130K for candidates based in SF, NYC or DC. Salary range adjused according to the market and cost of living where you reside to optimize for consistent standards of living for all employees.