Responsibilities The Massachusetts Voter Table seeks a full-time Digital Organizing and Data Associate to join our team. The Digital Organizing and Data Associate will assist MVT partner organizations in implementation of voter contact field programs with a strong emphasis on digital organizing. The ideal candidate is a problem solver who has experience in field organizing and digital communications and can work in a fast-paced environment with people from diverse backgrounds. We’re looking for someone who takes pride in conveying technical concepts to nontechnical audiences. This position reports to the Massachusetts Voter Table Executive Director.
- Assist MVT partner organizations to implement data-driven field programs and digital communications, ensuring benchmarks and goals are met;
- Advise partner organizations on the use of voter contact and digital organizing tools and assist them in integrating appropriate voter contact and data tools into their engagement programs;
- Support and on-board partner organizations in the use of civic engagement, voter contact, and digital organizing tools, and assist them in assessing and implementing data integration into programs;
- Work alongside the MVT Executive Director, Data & Targeting Director, and Field Coordinator, to implement coordinated table projects and programs;
- Function as part of a national data team to build and maintain the shared state and national data infrastructure necessary to support partner program work. This includes, but is not limited to, required weekly data calls, required biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, required convening attendance, etc;
- Provide basic VAN training both in-person (when safe to do so) and remote;
- Administer VAN (Voter Activation Network) for partner organizations and their consultants. This includes managing user and security settings; providing technical assistance; and monitoring the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies. Some examples of VAN work include, but are not limited to, creating basic lists, creating survey questions and activist codes, creating scripts, setting up phone banks, cutting turf, bulk uploading data, etc. Note: State Voices offers basic and advanced VAN Training to all data staff;
- Improve network partners’ data through list matching, and providing training on better data hygiene and data collection practices;
- Participate in national working groups with other data staff to develop nation-wide standards and best practices. Including but not limited to, required weekly data calls, required biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, required convening attendance, etc;
- Must complete series of required trainings by State Voices.
- Geographically flexible within Massachusetts.
Compensation: Compensation is $45,000 - $55,000 and includes a full benefits package. Benefits for eligible include but are not limited to: health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 403(b) savings plan, paid leave time and parental leave.
Qualifications: We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- At least one previous cycle in political, nonprofit, labor, or community organization, either paid or unpaid.
- Ability to work well under pressure, while maintaining a high level of detail orientation and meeting deadlines.
- Sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a broad range of people possessing different skill levels.
- Must be able to work professionally and communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization as well as external contacts, constituents and vendors.
- Experience working in coalition with partners, or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color.
- Experience using social media or digital organizing tools for recruiting volunteers.
- Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
- Background in 501c3 work or the desire to work with progressive organizations.
- Must be organized and able to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
- Commitment to approaching the work in an inclusive and empathetic way.
- Experience with the VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
Nice to have Technical Skills or a Desire to Learn:
- Peer-to-peer texting software (e.g., ThruText, Hustle, Spoke), relational voter engagement platforms (e.g., Reach, Empower), events (e.g., MobilizeAmerica), a plus.
- SQL Queries
- Basic Extract Transform Load Workflows
- GIS Platforms - we use QGIS and PostGIS
Physical Demands/Work Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Effectively communicate with others;
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
TSNE/MVT envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE/MVT will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
Salary: $45,000 - $55,000
Location: Geographically flexible within Massachusetts