Responsibilities Software Architecture & Development (75%):
- Lead software development and maintenance for the National Geographic Society website hosted at nationalgeographic.org.
- Lead software development efforts that produce applications and products for National Geographic Society constituencies including Educators, Explorers and Storytellers.
- Work closely with Product Management and development teams to identify and translate functional and non-functional requirements into user stories needed by engineering, QA, and operational staff.
- Provide broad technical and architectural direction to on- and off-shore software development and enterprise platform teams within the Digital & Technology organization.
- Discover and apply technical insights that inform, enable and drive product innovation.
Strategy and Best Practices (20%):
- Work closely with Senior Digital Director and Product Management on the development of an annual product roadmap, in support of the product strategy and reflective of the goals, objectives and core milestones of the business.
- Partner with the Directors of Product Management and UX to implement ‘agile’ product management best practices across cross-functional teams.
- Define and refine engineering processes and practices such as version control, build pipelines, automated testing, code reviews, etc.
Other duties as assigned (5%)
Minimum Education Required
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or similar field desired.
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
- 6 - 8 years of progressively responsible professional experience leading development teams and organizations. Experience leading technical development products across all phases of its lifecycle, from prototyping through launch and beyond through growth phase and into maturity.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple functional disciplines (including management, product management, producers, QA, and operations) to ensure the on-time delivery of high-quality software products and services.
- Demonstrated success working with on- and off-site teams to develop and launch excellent technical products.
- Demonstrated success building highly scalable web products including web applications, APIs, mobile applications.
- Experience with agile software development methodology and agile modeling techniques is required.
- Experience applying emerging digital storytelling technologies, ideally involving distribution and deployment of products across a broad and diverse organization.
- Demonstrated experience developing solutions that include
- Service-oriented and resource-oriented architectures
- Event-driven architectures
- Single sign-on (SSO) via SAML and OpenID Connect
- CMS systems
- Strong understanding of service-oriented and resource-oriented architectures and responsive design principles.
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing and maintaining distributed, cloud-based architectures that include asynchronous messaging using message brokers such as Amazon SQS, Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to converse effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
- Experience with container-based development using Docker and Kubernetes preferred.
- Extensive experience developing applications in Python and Django is preferred.
- Experience developing applications that interface with Salesforce is preferred.
Salary: Not Listed
Location: Not Listed