The Data Assistant will play a critical part in supporting the administration of the core infrastructure and technology that powers the Federation’s Joint Mobilization program in 2020. A great deal of the work of this position will focus on the Labor Action Network (LAN)–the labor movement’s instance of the Voter Activation Network (VAN)–but also other tools and technology used by the Federation to run effective and efficient electoral programs. This position is part of a team responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the LAN and other tools–everything from creating accounts to supporting and troubleshooting technical issues users have with the tools needed to run large scale, primarily remote programs. The Data Assistant will also work closely with AFL-CIO state federations, central labor councils, AFL-CIO affiliated unions, and local unions to assist with their needs around setting up and utilizing various voter contact technology.
The Data, Analytics & Infrastructure Resource Department’s goal is to generate lasting power for the labor movement, by building the Federation’s programmatic tools, web development, data systems, and analytics capacity. This team serves a broad range of clients across the labor movement–from other AFL-CIO departments to AFL-CIO affiliates, and state and local labor bodies. Through investment in central infrastructure, training, and direct service work, the department aims to empower its partners to run stronger and more cost-effective political and legislative mobilization, digital, and organizing campaigns.
This is a temporary position not to exceed November 30, 2020.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Assist in coordinating the day-to-day operation of the Labor Action Network. The Data Assistant’s work will conform with the AFL-CIO Executive Council policy on membership list security.
- Create templates on the LAN reports system for walks, membership phone contacts, and mailings.
- Work with Voter Activation Network, State Election officials, and other outside sources on obtaining key election data (polling locations, early vote, and vote by mail results) during the campaign and making sure it is applied and used on the LAN System.
- Assist with output requests, approvals, and exports on the LAN system.
- Assist in uploading scripts, results, and early vote data.
- Assist in AFL-CIO peer to peer texting and LAN training programs.
- Assist in account creation on the LAN System.
- Clean and standardize a variety of data files, using basic scripting and tools like Microsoft Excel.
- Help to maintain the approved user database and assist in monitoring usage of the LAN, to make sure all user activities conform to the AFL-CIO Executive Policy on membership list security.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience using LAN or VAN preferred.
- Experience using a variety of tactics and techniques to train users with a wide spectrum of knowledge, particularly through an online platform, a plus but not required.
- Demonstrated experience with Excel databases and data clean up.
- Passion for electoral politics and issue campaigns.
- Knowledge of the labor movement preferred.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong attention to detail a must.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team in a support role.
- Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- While not required, some experience with SQL and/or relational databases may be helpful
- Ability to travel, work long and extended hours when needed.
Location: Not Listed