Position Description CTCL’s Civic Data team creates and maintains nationwide datasets of candidate and elected officials, working with our partners to ensure that everyone in America has access to information about how they can become and remain engaged with our democracy, year round.
Creating the datasets that power some of the most powerful civic information tools available is hard work. Consistently ensuring that these datasets are the best they can be is even harder. We’re looking for someone with a love of democracy (and a borderline-scary eye for detail) to help maintain and improve the civic information we and our partners provide to the public.
This position will report to a Research Manager on the Civic Data team and is based in our Washington, DC office. Currently, all CTCL staff are working remotely as safe reopening conditions are evaluated.
Working with our Research Managers and broader research team, the Data Quality Assurance Associate will work with our own data and with our partners to ensure the completeness and accuracy. Examples of responsibilities include:
- Verifying civic information. Confirming the accuracy of information about candidates, elected officials, government offices, and more as needed for both internal evaluation and partner needs.
- Developing and implementing internal quality control systems. Working with our research team to help explore areas where our datasets can improve and identify any potential issues to resolve in order for our data to be the best it can be when published.
- Error reporting and measurement. Helping our Civic Data team and its partners better understand the completeness and accuracy of our data by creating periodic reports and tracking quality metrics across time.
Desired Qualifications A successful candidate for the Civic Data Quality Assurance Associate position will have a comprehensive understanding of our mission and demonstrate a proven track record of success. In addition, while no candidate may possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and personal attributes:
- Meticulous attention to detail. This position is the last line of defense against wrong information getting to the voting public, and we need someone who won’t let anything slip past them.
- Research experience. Not all civic information is easy to find – that’s why we do what we do. We need someone who is comfortable using both online and offline methods to find the information we need.
- Strong communication skills. You will need to work both with internal and external stakeholders to coordinate our QA processes and address any problems, so you should be comfortable clearly and frequently communicating with a wide variety of people.
- Strong sense of curiosity. You take delight in immersing yourself in the rabbit hole of research and in finding out new details about America’s democracy.
Salary: $48,000 – $50,000
Location: Washington, DC