Fireside Campaigns is a values first firm that integrates public relations, digital strategy and data-driven analytics to create full service communications for movement partners. Fireside is seeking a Senior Digital Strategist who is eager to thoughtfully lead a team to provide strategic guidance and run effective campaigns.
The firm supports exciting candidates and non-profit clients who are working to reform and safeguard America’s democracy while challenging the Trump administration and its collaborators across all issue areas and on every communications platform. You can read more about us and some of our clients on our website.
Fireside Campaigns works to transform our country into one that truly lives by the best values that it professes. We’ve personally expressed our commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion through our work on behalf of progressive clients and movement partners since the day we were founded. We understand that we’ve sometimes fallen way short of ensuring that same diversity within the ranks of our own firm and are actively seeking to remedy it. That is why we are redoubling our commitment to promoting racial equity inside our organization, its operations and its management processes. We want Fireside to be a place where everyone feels welcome, everyone has an environment where they can feel confident and safe and where everyone can succeed.
That is why equal employment opportunity is a guiding principle for us. We are committed to ensuring a workplace where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
About the Role
The Senior Digital Strategist will drive digital strategy for our clients and partners, lead a team of non-senior and senior level staff, and aid in content creation for digital campaigns. The position requires an individual who understands that we’ve entered a new era of political communications in this country and that the tactics we’ve employed for a generation to influence voters and compel them to action simply aren’t working anymore. You are always thinking of innovations and are eager to try new and interesting things with clients. Messaging needs to be written in a way so that target audiences will emotionally connect with it and feel compelled to share those messages with others and be driven to take action.
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL POSITION.
As a team leader, the Digital Strategist will manage a team of junior and senior associates, leading their day to day work, but also supporting their professional growth. This role requires both big picture strategic thought and analysis of American politics as well as the comfort and ability to get into the details of data, writing, metrics, and more.
You will work with the firm’s partners and clients to develop overarching digital strategy, calendars, email plans, and advertising plans for Democratic campaigns and/or progressive advocacy groups across the country. Working collaboratively with your team, you will help create and manage digital campaigns across various channels for outcomes such as email fundraising, acquisition and voter contact, as well as evaluate and share the results of these campaigns with clients. The Digital Strategist must be a strong writer with incredibly close attention to detail.
In this role, no two days will be exactly alike, but you will:
- Ensure a mentorship & training approach to management of a team of junior and senior strategists; we expect these individuals to learn and grow in the organization and you will help them get to that goal
- Effectively manage the team’s day to day work to edit, create, and write email and social media content and leading regular check in meetings
- Hold you and your team accountable to centering equity and inclusion in the work, through learning, conversations, goal setting and more.
- Act as a strategic partner for clients and partners to drive digital programs, calendars, emails, and advertising informed by performance data
- Ensure high-quality work is delivered on-time and on-budget; this includes a willingness to write reports, draft and schedule emails and social media, or other tasks when needed
- Serve as a front-facing contact directly with clients including setting up agendas and leading frequent meetings with clients, their team, and other staff members
- Collaborate with other team members to develop integrated online advertising and acquisition campaigns
- Proactively look for creative applications of new digital tools, techniques, and channels for communicating with voters, keeping abreast of recent developments in research and testing from other sources
- Schedule and deploy emails in a variety of CRM platforms
- Other duties as needed
Required skills and experience
For someone to succeed in this role, you most likely have 5+ years of digital political experience including senior digital leadership experience. At least one cycle of campaigning, experience on Capitol Hill, Independent Expenditures, non-profits, labor, or issue advocacy groups or similar are all valued.
- Commitment to progressive values and a strong competency in American politics
- A well developed analysis of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace, digital communications, team building and more in the workplace
- Demonstrated project and personnel management experience with the ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to deliver on tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment; EoQ/EoM is a thing you love/hate
- Problem solving skills that are focused on both immediate and long term outcomes for the client - you are working to make them and us better
- Strong writing and copy editing skills
- Analytical thinking- you should be able to correctly interpret and advise clients and staff on key metrics and findings
- Excellent communication and comfort working with a distributed team in different time zones using the tools of a modern office like Google Docs and Slack
- Competencies in the tools and technical skills needed to lead and support your team’s projects including but not limited to:
- Writing, managing, and executing email, text and social programs for political campaigns and/or progressive nonprofit organizations
- Coding email and landing page wrappers using HTML & CSS
- Driving social media campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other channels
- Navigating CRM and CMS systems, especially Action Network, BSD Tools, NGP/EveryAction, and WordPress
- Experience or familiarity with digital advertising platforms
Additional skills that would be useful, but are not required
- Meticulous proofreader who enjoys fierce debates over the Oxford comma
- Graphic design experience
- Basic video production skills
- Experience with placed ads
- Broadcast and peer to peer mobile experience
- Comfort and experience developing reports, metrics and analysis