About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action, an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
Position Description: The Controller will lead all accounting activities within Community Change and Community Change Action and ensures that appropriate internal controls are in place and maintained, all general ledger accounts are reconciled, audits are performed and that accurate financial statements are produced in a timely manner, audit, and financial reporting activities.
As the lead accounting staff, the Controller will lead all day-to-day accounting operations of a multi-entity enterprise with aggregate budget activity of approximately $30 million. The Controller will supervise staff to manage the relationship with the team of external accountants. Responsibilities include functional management of all general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, allocations, financial systems, financial reporting, audit and tax reporting.
The Controller will ensure that the organization has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their teams, building strong relationships to ensure that the accounting functions support program delivery. In addition, the Controller will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and operations staff to enhance the organizations’ infrastructure.
This is a unique opportunity to build a strong and successful accounting team in a dynamic organization. The position will directly partner with the Chief Operating and Financial Officer, Director of Financial Management and Compliance, and other senior leaders to support management and implementation of organizational priorities and goals. The Controller will provide analyses, performance tracking, and develop financial reports and presentations for senior staff and the Board of Directors.
A portion of time will be spent working with Community Change’s sister organization, Community Change Action.
Principal Responsibilities: Team Leadership
- Provide strong leadership, supervision, and guidance to the Accounting Department staff members.
- Develop and implement goals for the Accounting Department.
- Develop and support Accounting Department staff development, cross-team collaboration, and skills-building.
- Lead the department in building a strong data fluent culture.
- Oversee the performance management of the department.
- Build strong relationships with staff across the organization with a particular emphasis on a strong customer service and issue resolution approach.
Accounting & Systems Management
- Support the ongoing implementation and management of a best in class ERP system (Oracle’s NetSuite).
- Design and implement enhanced workflows and systems to support efficiency and accuracy of accounting data.
- Maintain the chart of accounts, ledgers, and records of all transactions.
- Ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a strong internal control framework.
- Ensure production of accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the financial close process.
- Coordinate the annual financial audit and ensure the resolution of any audit findings.
- Support the CFO in reporting for Board committees and development of Board reports.
- Oversee the accounting and reporting for the endowment and operating investments.
- Manage cash accounts and cash flow projections across the enterprise.
- Remain current on all accounting and auditing standards that are relevant to the organization and ensure the department’s knowledge of relevant standards and regulations.
- A minimum 15 years of accounting and finance experience, at least 5 of which must be in a senior managerial role.
- Experience in nonprofit accounting [501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4)] and financial management is required.
- Experience in a complex and multi-entity nonprofit environment is preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to manage and motivate a team.
- Data and technology focused with experience complex data systems including NetSuite and Salesforce
- Experience leading change management is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge GAAP, FASB, and financial management and internal control compliance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in communicating complex financial data to multiple audiences.
- Driven and passionate about advancing social justice with the ability to work in a fast-paced and complex environment.
Location: Washington, DC