Mod’s note: Chaloner’s clients include both for profit corporations and social impact organizations. As they say on the internet, retweet is not an endorsement. We have not fully vetted this group.
The Vice President of Product Management is a communications technology professional who can combine product vision from executive leadership, customer needs and requirements and gaps in the competitive landscape into marketable products and feature specifications. The VP of Product Management employs deep knowledge of the latest web application technologies and agile web development processes to guide engineering teams to successful product/feature launch. This role requires strong development planning and project management abilities. In-depth knowledge of public affairs, digital advertising and/or public relations is critical to success in the role.
The VP of Product Management will serve as a rational, impartial voice, driving the cross-functional product team to solve problems and make decisions.
About the Organization:
Our client is a public affairs tech company with offices on both coasts. Digital strategists, media buyers, public affairs specialists, project managers, designers, developers and data analysts are hyper-focused to achieve one shared goal: implementing data-driven digital solutions that empower clients to win. The company’s customers fight the nation’s highest-stakes battles and to win, they require tools that are agile, dependable and effective. Nothing on the market gave them what they needed, so our client built better ones. This company operates at the state, local and national level across the United States, powering hundreds of winning advocacy campaigns.
The VP of Product Management’s top four priorities are:
- Stakeholder Requirements - Work with CEO to translate key stakeholders’ (chiefly Leadership Team) product needs and vision into an actionable development plan. And, provide regular updates to key stakeholders on product development progress.
- Summarize inputs on product requirements from a wide range of stakeholders (customers, partners, team members, development team) for Leadership Team to consider
- Work with CEO to facilitate Leadership Team’s discussion of long and short term product vision on a regular basis
- Document Leadership Team’s definition of long and short term product vision, initially and as modifications occur
- Based on Leadership team’s product vision, work with VP of Media and Innovation to define a prioritized set of topics to be developed
- Market Strategy - Perform regular assessment of the market and competitive landscape through customer interviews, original research and third party research. Develop pricing and differentiation strategies that will provide measurable ROI on development investments.
- Perform regular assessment of the market and competitive landscape through customer interviews, original research and third party research.
- Develop pricing and differentiation strategies that will provide measurable ROI on development investments.
- Work with Leadership Team to prioritize features for releases based upon expected ROI, competitive advantage and other company-wide strategic priorities.
- Development Planning - Develop and regularly update a detailed product development plan to include features roadmap, development staffing plan, budget and other information required by key stakeholders.
- Develop, maintain and regularly update a detailed product development plan to include features roadmap, development staffing plan, task development schedule, budget and other information required by key stakeholders.
- Obtain final approval from CEO and COO on plan and budget
- Manage and facilitate overall product feature schedule including release planning of new features
- Facilitate sprint planning on short order,
- Development Management - Source necessary development resources and manage an agile development process that is oriented to meet the objectives of the product development plan.
- Drive the execution of sprint items
- Provide development team access to budgeted resources
- Report on project status to all stakeholders at least every two weeks
- Responsible for risk assessment & mitigation
- Develop, educate and enforce agreed upon processes & methodology rules
- Find and work to remove roadblocks for development team
- Help to motivate the development team and keep them highly engaged
- Protect development team from outside distractions
- Facilitate communication within the development team
- Responsible for keeping release/project information consolidated, organized and up to date
- Provides quality assurance on developed items
- Lead retrospective analysis of development and deliver insights to the overall team in bi-weekly meetings.
- Recruiting development and design resources for client teams as needed
- While not the main priority of the VP of Product Management role, may be asked to contribute to other client work as business needs dictate and/or to help strengthen VP of Product Management’s knowledge of core product offerings
- Other responsibilities as requested by CEO
Note: Our client retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position
Strong Candidates Will Have:
- Eight plus years of digital, tech experience
- Experience leading strategic product management in a fast-paced and agile campaign-driven environment
- An organized and deadline-driven approach to keep a team on track advancing multiple assignments at once in a fast-paced environment
- Strong project management skills and a nimble and flexible work style, with an ability to pivot quickly from one project to another
- A positive, proactive, forward-thinking mindset and strong organization skills
- A strong work ethic, and an ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Those with experience working in a client-service focused organization and/or the public affairs arena will be given special consideration
- Ability to think strategically while also managing tactics and logistics
- Significant experience leading a team: managing and supervising staff, delegating assignments, communicating expectations and feedback clearly, and developing individuals
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- A desire for continuous improvement
Salary: Not Listed