ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Director Experimentation, Learning and Evaluation to join our diverse team. One of the key offerings of the Incubator is to support participants to test and iterate their narrative change projects to change people’s hearts and minds about poverty in America. The Director of Experimentation, Learning and Evaluation would be a key architect of the Incubator’s testing framework that will support innovative narrative change projects for 28 participants, ranging from national nonprofits to legal funds to local organizers. The Director Experimentation, Learning and Evaluation is responsible for developing the testing, measurement and evaluation program for the Incubator, and would manage our research and distribution partnerships, and get to work alongside a cross-disciplinary team of campaigners, strategists, and creatives to support a range of participant projects. The Incubator will provide a range of testing resources, and the Director will develop insights and analysis that can be shared and used by participants to create scalable narrative change projects.
We’re looking for someone who has designed and developed experiments that can be scaled to reach large audiences and change people’s hearts and minds. The ideal candidate is someone with a background in politics, public mobilization, or brand communications who is skilled at working with diverse collaborators and is adept at translating data and communicating actionable insights to a wide range of audiences.
The Director of Experimentation, Learning & Evaluation will work alongside a team of program managers, campaigners, strategists and creatives, and could have the opportunity to help build a team to lead on experimentation, learning and evaluation across Purpose.
We’re looking for team players with passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
This role is offered at the Director tier, with a salary range of $98,000 - $120,000/y, commensurate with experience.
The role reports to Keno Sadler, Senior Director of Labs, and is based in Purpose’s New York office.
If these are things that get you out of bed in the morning we want to hear from you:
- Constantly thinking about how to make the world a better place
- Questioning and refining the most engaging, entertaining and relevant way to tell stories that move hearts and minds
- Talking about how false narratives are distributed and get scaled in broader culture
- Play an integral role on the Incubator team to develop, refine, and manage our testing and evaluation framework
- Support participants in determining their learning questions, executing their tests, and evaluating and incorporating their results
- Work closely with vendors and partners to track the results of different combinations of ads and audiences and be responsible for tracking trends and insights across project tests
- Work closely with vendors and partners to surface insights that will help participants identify particular aspects of messages that work best for different types of audiences
- Work closely with vendors on primary research deliverables, including crafting online survey questions, running online focus groups, and identifying other opportunities to provide low-cost, high quality feedback to inform participant projects
- Support on translating research, testing findings, and other insights for non-technical audiences
- Develop training sessions for staff and participants on experimentation and evaluation best practices
- Contribute to the ongoing development of Purpose’s measurement, learning and evaluation practice
Skills & Experience:
We encourage people to apply if you are excited about Purpose and this role’s mission. In order to succeed in this role, these are some of the skills and qualities you bring to bear: :
- Likely around 8-10 years experience in data and analytics; we are particularly seeking people with experience in the political advocacy, organizing, digital activism, public policy, or creative campaigns sectors
- Extremely capable project manager with ability to handle competing deliverables and serving multiple stakeholders (partners, clients, campaigns)
- Experience designing and implementing project or program evaluations through a variety of research methods, including conducting qualitative and quantitative audience research; designing and implementing digital tests and experiments is particularly important
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate complex issues for a wide audience
- Demonstrated Track record of learning new tools, technologies, and frameworks
- Passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit
- Excited to work with highly diverse teams
- Committed and aligned with Purpose’s value in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and have demonstrated your commitmentI through professional and/or personal space.
Salary: $98,000 - $120,000/y, commensurate with experience
Location: New York