About Color Of Change
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society.
Role Summary & Background
We are undertaking a major expansion of our data, analytics, and engineering capabilities to turbocharge our campaigns for change. Our electoral campaigns, grassroots lobbying, and representation work is generating a flood of data, some of which we are currently using to inform our work. But we’re just scratching the surface – so much more is possible. That’s why we are making major investments in our data operation to ensure we’re using data and technology to engage our members and build Black political power.
This role works closely with our Movement Building team to support organizing work across the country – everything from building voter universes for outreach to supporting recruitment for our virtual Black Joy events nationwide. This is a great role for an organizer looking to move into data, or someone with technical expertise looking to work in the progressive space.
Volunteer Recruitment and Voter Outreach:
- In partnership with other teams and data staff, build plans and universes for voter contact and volunteer recruitment.
- Assist in building data driven goals and metrics, use reports to regularly assess progress to goal and program health.
- Make sure staff have the information they need to talk about our program to volunteers and coalition partners.
- Adeptly learn to use our suite of online organizing tools, create documentation and training materials for staff and volunteers.
- Work with other data staff to monitor tools, proactively identify problems, and troubleshoot where needed.
- Assist in creating processes to standardize data (such as scripts and survey questions) in our systems, train staff on these processes.
- Monitor systems to make sure standards are being followed, dive in to clean or upload data when needed.
A qualified candidate should have:
- A strong racial justice analysis with the ability to effectively integrate this analysis in your data work, including identifying moments where racial justice may affect the collection, analysis, and presentation of our data.
- People skills: This person will work in close partnership with our field and digital teams, so an ability to clearly communicate is key.
- Empathy and respect, especially for our volunteers. We lead with Black Joy in all our interactions, and we care deeply about our members’ experience.
- Basic data skills and a desire to learn: You love a well organized spreadsheet and you understand what clean data looks like and why it’s important. Experience with SQL or other programming languages is a bonus but NOT required for this role.
Prior experience with systems like NGP/VAN, calling & texting tools, and data tools commonly used in the progressive movement is helpful, but we’re excited about any candidates who have these basic technical skills and a desire to learn.
Location: Not Listed