Arizona State Director
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to act on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
Racial Equity Statement
As a leader of collaborative efforts to mobilize voters, protect voting rights, and win elections, America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity within our organization and across our coalition. We acknowledge the systematic racism that permeates all facets of our society, beginning with the foundational right to vote. America Votes is also engaging with an understanding of the ways gender, sexuality and other forms of oppression intersect with race and how those relationships impact inequities faced by our staff, our partners, and the communities that we engage in our work. America Votes strives to model our commitment to racial equity through our internal and external operations, programs, and partnerships. We acknowledge the inequitable structures that continue to exist and are moving forward with a sustained commitment in time, resources and people to challenge structural racism and work towards creating a reflective organization and democracy.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader with a record of success in coalition building, stakeholder management and electoral and issue campaigns to serve as the inaugural Arizona State Director.
The State Director is responsible for leading and supporting local, state, and national America Votes partner organizations in the development and execution of coordinated plans to advance progressive change in Arizona.
The State Director will grow the state coalition and coordinate strategies between state and national partners to maximize the priorities, resources, and effectiveness of all partners.
The State Director will take a strategic, collaborative, and flexible approach to coalition management, planning and decision making and can lead through periods of political transition and membership expansion. The Director will recognize and capitalize on immediate political opportunities while also staying focused on long-term strategic priorities.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in electoral field program management, superb interpersonal skills, a demonstrated commitment to racial equity, the ability to foster trust and respect with stakeholders, and the capacity to lead an inclusive, collaborative and diverse coalition of partner organizations.
Location and Reporting Structure
This position is based in Arizona with Phoenix preferred and travel around the state. The Arizona Director reports to the National Field Director.
- Lead Campaign Strategy: Work with America Votes partner organizations and stakeholders to design efficient and effective statewide and ballot-level electoral and voter education plans based on short and long-term priorities. Evaluate and report on stakeholder’s partner program outcomes and monitor progress toward goals. Ensure the security, development, and appropriate usage of the state coalition voter file. Work with America Votes’ national development team to identify in-state funding opportunities to support America Votes’ operations and partner-led programs.
- Staff Hiring and Management: Hire a diverse, talented team in Arizona. Manage the team including development of work plans, professional development, and ongoing supervision and support. Implement America Votes’ organizational goals and manage staff toward delivering on the shared goals of the organization.
- Coalition Leadership & Management: Convene individual coalition partners and the collective table on a regular basis and facilitate discussions, decision making, and other critical work. Assist local organizations in identifying resources to build capacity and improve performance, shared strategy, and organization-specific campaign plans. Implement systems for ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of strategies. Work directly with national staff and partners to ensure smooth communication with state operations. Explore strategic opportunities to expand coalition membership, partnerships, and collaborations with stakeholders. Facilitate a collaborative and productive state coalition environment that advances racial equity goals.
- Equity and Inclusion: Lead the coalition in approaching campaign, electoral, and coalition work through a lens of racial equity. Model principles of equity, diversity and inclusion internally and externally. Be culturally competent and support work to build power with BIPOC-led and focused partners.
- Advance Election Modernization: Support or develop ongoing programs and legislative advocacy related to election modernization in collaboration with voting rights organizations and advocates.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- 7+ years of electoral and advocacy campaign experience. At least two cycles in leadership for statewide campaign operations and management of senior level campaign staff.
- Expertise in electoral field program management, including outstanding organizing skills and the ability to write, evaluate, and execute winning campaign plans with a strong field component.
- Ability to successfully manage a coalition in a thoughtful, strategic and inclusive manner.
- Commitment to advancing racial equity through programmatic work, partner relationships and organizational systems and processes.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, preferably in electoral, campaign, or organizing settings.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent political judgment and discretion.
- Strong staff management skills, including the ability to foster a culture of collaboration, support, mentoring, and consistent feedback.
- Strong sense of ownership and resilience with respect to planning ahead, finding alternative paths when needed, and moving forward after setbacks.
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong and positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Ability to negotiate, build consensus, resolve conflicts, and strategically disagree.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working with funders, including preparing reports and presentations.
- Ability to understand and synthesize data, using it to inform strategy and problem solve across diverse audiences.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and to travel as needed.
- Proficiency in Google Suite tools or MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience working with independent expenditure campaigns and VAN.
- Knowledge or background in Arizona politics, organizations and the legislature.
- Experience with vote-by-mail or absentee voter programs.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with ballot initiative campaigns.
- Experience with digital programs, new voter contact technologies, and program testing.
- Experience coordinating and/or interpreting public opinion research to inform plans and strategies.
Salary range is $100,000 – $115,000 annually, commensurate with experience, with a potential election year bonus, based on performance and the state’s election landscape.
America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, long term disability coverage, a monthly cell phone stipend, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization.
America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy including paid vacation; paid sick leave and personal days; at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth; and paid organizational time off from at least December 25 to January 1.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmansolutions.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.