Associate Director of Analytics
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director of Analytics to join the Digital Advocacy team’s organic social media analytics program to support digital strategies and messaging across the progressive landscape.
With Americans facing an increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build up the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and American Progress is committed to leading the way.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
A strong candidate for this role will have strong analytical skills, an interest in digital communication, and demonstrated success in both team and individual environments. The Advocacy department’s Digital Analytics team is responsible for developing centralized expertise on organic social media to support stakeholders within American Progress and across the progressive space. This team identifies emerging narratives, potential disinformation threats, and best practices on ever-changing platforms, working in close collaboration with the Content Strategy and Partnerships verticals.
This is a full-time position funded for one year, with opportunities for extension. The budgeted salary for this position is $82,000.
- Work closely with the Director of Analytics to help expand the scope of the organization’s social media analytics program to support partners across the digital landscape and maximize the reach of progressive policy messaging.
- Help expand, standardize, and maintain ETL pipelines to support growing social media databases across multiple platforms.
- Contribute to the creation of a robust content-testing strategy to identify persuasive and engaging messages.
- Conduct analysis on social media data to identify emerging voices, rapid changes in online conversations, and evolving best practices for maximizing reach online.
- Contribute to reports, presentations, and memos for a wide range of stakeholders—both internal and external—that provide clear and actionable insights.
- Partner with the Director of Analytics to synthesize analytics insights into easy-to-consume storylines for public consumption, such as the “What’s Trending?” newsletter.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least six years of professional experience, including four to seven years of professional experience in data analytics or engineering, is preferred.
- Competency in at least two of SQL, R, or Python (or an equivalent data analysis language).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially in presenting quantitative insights.
- Familiarity with Git or other version control systems.
- Familiarity with social media and social measurement strategies is a plus.
- Proactive and a self-starter.
- Experience with a political campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit is a plus.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response situations.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a budgeted salary of $82,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.