Full-Stack Web Developer (React & Node)
The Humane League is seeking a web developer to join our Digital Products team, a small, collaborative team responsible for building, deploying, and maintaining modern websites and web applications that meet content and design specifications. The new team member’s title will be either Web Developer II or Senior Web Developer, depending on their experience and qualifications. Please see below for more information about the responsibilities and qualifications which distinguish the Web Developer II role from the Senior Web Developer role.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position provides the opportunity for optional domestic travel for staff retreats; this is equivalent to approximately 1–2 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
To meet The Humane League’s Digital Products team, check out this video!
The responsibilities of a Web Developer II or Senior Web Developer include but are not limited to:
- Build, deploy, and maintain performant and accessible Jamstack websites and web applications utilizing React, Node, and styled components in modern hosting environments such as Netlify and Heroku.
- Maintain and troubleshoot products built using popular single-page applications, static site generators, and headless CMSs, such as React, Gatsby, Next, Contentful, Strapi, and Directus.
- Draw on UX/UI skill set to interpret responsive states from static designs and execute layouts optimized for accessibility and conversion that perform seamlessly and provide quality end-user experiences across all modern devices and screen sizes.
- Collaborate with other developers using a Git Feature Branch workflow.
- Effectively explain technical concepts to peers and colleagues in a positive, friendly manner.
- Stay up-to-date on latest technological developments and how organizations can use them to improve performance, and draw on this base of knowledge to address organizational challenges.
In addition to all of the above, the following responsibilities are included in the Senior Web Developer role:
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good development practices and providing training and guidance to other developers.
- Partner effectively with colleagues across the organization, anticipating needs of stakeholders and delivering high-value solutions in response to under-specified tasks and ambiguous requests. Use project management skills to create technical tasks based on project requirements and user stories.
- Manage deployment of releases to ensure continuous delivery.
- Keep frameworks and dependencies up to date. Brainstorm and implement ways to future-proof our architecture and minimize technical debt.
- Test and implement new technologies when reasonable and where useful.
The essential qualifications required of a Web Developer II or Senior Web Developer are:
- 3+ years of experience working professionally as a web developer on a team
- 3+ years of experience with React, Vue, or Angular
- Experience working with RESTful and/or GraphQL APIs
- Experience developing with accessibility in mind
- Experience with build tools (such as Webpack, Gulp, Yarn, and NPM)
- Understanding of version control and how to collaborate with other developers
- Project management: Flexible and able to balance multiple projects and tasks. Uses planning and organization skills to structure and execute complex projects with a great deal of autonomy. Able to set deadlines and address if a project is going off track.
- Independence: Self-motivated and able to work independently and take initiative in pursuing goals and managing projects given only general directives.
- Communication: Writes and speaks clearly and effectively. Demonstrated ability to communicate with peers, project stakeholders, and product support teams in a friendly, welcoming manner, especially when introducing new processes or explaining difficult concepts. Proactively communicates project-specific needs and updates.
- Problem-solving: Able to understand stakeholders’ questions and needs and propose logical solutions, with strong decision-making capability. Anticipates possible issues and proactively seeks opportunities to implement improvements. Adheres to high-quality development principles while delivering solutions on time.
- Collaboration: Previous experience collaborating with other developers on a team. Able to work within a mission-driven, results-driven, and community-oriented environment. Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work closely with colleagues at every level of the organization, while also being extremely effective independently.
In addition to all of the above, the following qualifications are required of a Senior Web Developer:
- 5+ total years of professional web development experience
- 5+ years of experience with both React and Node
- Experience with GraphQL and SQL
- Familiarity with administering static sites and single-page applications in cloud hosting environments (such as Netlify and Heroku)
- Deep comfort with headless CMSs (such as Strapi, Contentful, and Directus)
- Experience configuring and maintaining databases and asset storage platforms (such as Amazon RDS and S3 buckets)
- Deep knowledge of the software development cycle, with experience implementing and administering best practices in a collaborative, remote environment
- Coaching: Provides both high- and low-level guidance across the suite of digital products used at the organization. Able to rapidly switch contexts and give sound direction that takes into account all perspectives associated with our products, from developer to content manager to end-user experience.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation range for the Web Developer II role is $76,893-$93,981. The compensation range for the Senior Web Developer role is $86,436-$105,644. At The Humane League, we believe in maintaining a fair and equitable work environment for all employees. As part of our commitment to transparency and equity, we recently implemented a job architecture framework, which levels all of our roles according to size and complexity, as well as a compensation step system, which allows us to account for an individual’s total years of related experience when determining their compensation. In addition, we have adopted a no negotiation policy for salaries. To determine a job’s level, we carefully consider a variety of factors, including a job’s size and complexity, required experience, knowledge, and/or skills, internal comparability, and market data. To determine final compensation, experience will be measured by considering prior work in jobs or activities that are related to the role at THL. These new practices are aligned with our organizational values and will help us ensure we maintain clear, consistent, transparent, and equitable HR processes.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, pet care & Rx discount plans, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!