Minnesota Data Director
America Votes is the coordination hub of the progressive community, leading collaborative efforts among a diverse coalition of more than 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote. America Votes works nationally and in more than 20 states to provide a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states. For more information about America Votes, visit www.americavotes.org.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated, and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes Minnesotais seeking a well-organized self-starter for a full-time position as Data Director. The Minnesota Data Director plays a key role in the supporting campaign strategy and direct voter contact programs for the progressive movement. America Votes Minnesota offers its diverse set of progressive partners a range of voter file, data, and targeting services. We seek a service oriented individual with a combination of technical and political skills for this work. This position is ideal for someone who is ready for a mid-level role in a campaign environment and has a passion for helping others do their best work, and is excited about the details and tools that power direct voter contact programs. This position reports directly to the Minnesota State Director.
This position is based in Minneapolis, Mn and may require travel around the state. Due to the pandemic, most work is temporarily hybrid or remote.
- Project Management: Support the state director in implementing America Votes’ organizational goals, including REI goals. Participate in team creation of work plans and team benchmarks for success. Manage special projects to deliver on team goals.
- Voter File Management and Maintenance: Manage voter file access for AV partner organizations and their consultants. This includes administration and security, training end-users, and providing technical assistance as needed. Work with staff, partners, vendors, consultants, and others for the acquisition, enhancement, manipulation, and management of voter and member data.
- Management of Data Tools: Lead partner and organizational VAN and campaign data trainings. This includes identifying the various training needs, creating the necessary training materials, and leading the presentations. Provide support, including training and troubleshooting, for the implementation of various campaign tools
- Partner Support and Service: Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support, enhance, and execute programs. This includes assisting partners in employing program implementation best practices as well as converting technical data to actionable issue advocacy and electoral campaign recommendations.
- Coalition Support and Service: Responsible for coalition alignment on data and targeting which may include participating and leading various work groups or other meetings. Responsible for sharing data and tactic best practices during coalition meetings. Work with staff and partner groups to ensure that political and voter contact programs are maximizing shared voter file, targeting, and other data resources. This includes supporting staff and partner groups to develop campaign plans. support coalition partners through the development of campaign plans (electoral, redistricting, voting rights, and issue campaigns), providing technical assistance, responding to programmatic requests and participating actively in long-range strategic planning for the Colorado progressive movement. Support, and sometimes lead, the creation and development of written reports and products. Deliver presentations to various stakeholders, sometimes on short notice.
- Direct Voter Contact Strategy: Lead AV Minnesota’s data analysis and coordination efforts, and provide strategic data-driven recommendations to partners on campaign field and targeting. Lead data presentation development. Must be comfortable developing district profiles, landscape memos, slide show presentations, and other documents to communicate data analysis with key stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- At least one cycle of experience (at least 2 years) with statewide data responsibilities. This includes experience with planning, program implementation and analysis.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, preferably in political or organizing settings. Understanding of how power and privilege can show up in data-both in access to data and the data itself.
- Strong sense of ownership and resilience with respect to planning ahead, finding alternative paths when needed, and bouncing back from setbacks and rejections.
- Candidates should have an understanding of common direct voter contact programs and experience using data to inform advocacy and electoral plans. Strong VAN or other database skills are required with at least one cycle of experience administering voter contact tools.
- Must have a minimum of introductory training on SQL; standout candidates will have experience using SQL including a comfort level with SELECT, WHERE, GROUPBY. Advanced Google Sheets or Excel skills required including familiarity with common functions (VLOOKUP, SUMIF, INDEX(MATCH)), pivot tables, and charts.
- Must be comfortable and able to present data in understandable ways, including visualizations, historical context, and more. Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated history of persistence and resourcefulness in solving technical and data problems. Candidates should have a spirit of service and curiosity, along with a diplomatic approach to problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a high-volume of information with impeccable attention to detail in a fast-paced environment. Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills, with attention to detail. Comfortable working with a diverse set of stakeholders in one-on-one meetings and group settings. Ideal candidates will have previous work experience in a coalition setting with a demonstrated ability to move people to action and hold them accountable with and without formal authority.
- Must be a self-starter willing to work long irregular campaign-style hours and to travel as needed, especially during campaign season. As the health environment allows, meeting in person one-on-one, in small groups, and in large coalition meeting settings.
- Standout candidates will have knowledge of and experience with Minnesota’s political landscape and/or independent expenditure campaigns.
- Experience preferred with at least one of the following: Mapping tools (QGIS, Maptitute, etc), visualization tools (Tableau, Periscope, Google Data Studio, etc), or analysis tools (R, Python).
- Experience conducting small group trainings or developing training materials for end users.
- Experience with direct voter contact tools like Scale to Win
The minimum salary for this position is $65,000 and depends upon the applicant’s experience. Benefits for this position include health, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation, paid sick days, and parental leave, as well as 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization. The position is represented by the America Votes Workers Union.
Please submit a copy of your resume, a cover letter, and three references to the application form.
If you experience any technical difficulties with our application form, please email . Please note that only applications received through the application form will be considered; please do not email us your application materials.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.