National Data Engineering Manager
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections, and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, defending reproductive rights, protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections, and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
Racial Equity Statement
As a leader of collaborative efforts to mobilize voters, protect voting rights, and win elections, America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity within our organization and across our coalition. We acknowledge the systematic racism that permeates all facets of our society, beginning with the foundational right to vote. America Votes is also engaging with an understanding of the ways gender, sexuality and other forms of oppression intersect with race and how those relationships impact inequities faced by our staff, our partners, and the communities that we engage in our work. America Votes strives to model our commitment to racial equity through our internal and external operations, programs, and partnerships. We acknowledge the inequitable structures that continue to exist and are moving forward with a sustained commitment in time, resources and people to challenge structural racism and work towards creating a reflective organization and democracy.
America Votes is looking for a data engineer who can help create and manage the databases, pipelines, and other infrastructure that America Votes uses to gather, analyze and share data across the progressive space. This person will join our new data engineering team, and work closely with the data engineering director, other data teams, and state data directors. The ideal candidate is excited about maintaining and improving our existing infrastructure, as well as willing to dream big about new tooling to help us better access and use data.
This is a permanent, full-time bargaining unit position that reports to the National Data Engineering Director.
- Create or maintain Airflow pipelines used to load data into our Redshift database, as well as pipelines to send data from our warehouse to partners or user-facing tools.
- Collaborate with other data staff – both internally and across the movement – to build and maintain a robust data infrastructure.
- Contribute to data strategy and platform feature development, including adoption of new tools and platforms.
- Help maintain overall cloud infrastructure, which currently includes Amazon Redshift, s3, AWS hosted servers, and Airflow on Google Composer.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Meaningful experience working with databases and cloud infrastructure.
- Intermediate to expert-level working experience with SQL and Python or object-oriented programming languages.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a professional approach to communicating with partners, team members, and vendors.
Nice to Haves
- Previous experience working or volunteering with a progressive or nonprofit organization, particularly political campaigns.
- Familiarity with voter files or political tools such as NGP/VAN.
- Experience creating and administering databases and other cloud infrastructure, particularly Redshift or BigQuery.
- Experience with data transformation and visualization tools such as dbt (data build tool), Tableau, Looker, or Google Data Studio.
- Experience using APIs, and data orchestration tools to create and maintain data pipelines.
- Knowledge of containerization using tools such as Kubernetes.
- Understanding of unit testing, CI/CD, and other software engineering best practices.
- Experience using software version control systems such as Git.
- Hiring Manager Resume Review
- Initial Hiring Manager Interview (30 min)
- Technical Assessment (done on own time, asked to limit to 4 hours)
- Final Interview with Hiring Manager and Data Team Members (60 minutes)
- Reference Check
How you’ll ramp
- 30 days: Get the overview of our data stack, understand key Python and SQL scripts in our codebase.
- 60 days: Understand how our national and state data staff use our data infrastructure. Contribute to internal planning conversations about our databases and airflow infrastructure.
- 90 days: Create and launch your first airflow DAG to load data into our data warehouse.
The location for this position is flexible. Some travel and reasonable access to an airport is required. America Votes has offices located in DC and CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NM, NV, OH, PA, and WI. America Votes is currently working in a hybrid setting and depending on location this individual may be asked to report to their state office as applicable.
The salary for this position will be between $85,000 – $100,000 and depend upon the applicant’s experience. America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, long term disability coverage, monthly cell phone reimbursement, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization. America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy with paid vacation, unlimited sick and safe leave, paid personal days, at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth, as well as paid organizational time off from at least December 23 to January 1.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.