SENIOR DATA ORGANIZER
SENIOR DATA ORGANIZER
The Carolina Federation is seeking a full-time Senior Data Organizer to guide and support the development of grassroots political power across North Carolina. This position will directly support the data organizing for existing and emerging county-level political organizations in North Carolina counties, as well as base building, issue-based and electoral campaigns at the local and statewide level.
About the Carolina Federation
The Carolina Federation is a statewide organization that brings people together across race to build a new political majority in North Carolina – one rooted in a culture of belonging and strong enough to win elections and wield governing power in our state. Our work combines the best of Southern freedom traditions: deep base-building, transformative cultural work, power-building issue campaigns, and large-scale voter organizing.
In just five years our chapter-based membership organization has grown to become the largest voter engagement operation in our state. But we are equally proud to be known for the depth of our leadership development, our democratic endorsement processes, and the governance of the organization by elected member leaders.
As we prepare for a major political battle in 2024, we’re looking for a full-time Data Organizer who will use their skills and passion to support the Federation’s growing data organizing needs in our programmatic work across North Carolina.
About the Data Organizer Position
We are seeking a data organizer who would
- be thrilled to help grow innovative political organization across North Carolina
- fit our culture of courageous leadership and playful camaraderie
- share our deep love of people and ferocious commitment to power and transformation
The data organizer will work directly with the organizing and electoral staff of the Carolina Federation to support the building of multi-racial, multi-issue grassroots political power in our state. While our work is deeply relational at its core, we seek to utilize the most effective technical tools and tactics possible to build our membership base and reach voters in our communities. The data organizer’s primary role is to support this continued integration of our data-driven electoral work with our relational and base-building organizing work.
Specifically, the data organizer will have six focus areas for their job:
Data Management and Analysis: Coordinate the overall data needs of the Carolina Federation including our county-level chapters. This may include:
- Creating and documenting data management procedures and ensure that staff and member leaders are following procedures and best practices
- Maintaining activist codes, survey questions and other tags
- Managing, processing and updating bulk data
- Collaborating with staff on local, legislative and statewide analyses for electoral work
- Creating municipal level analyses for local elections
- Creating analysis of ongoing data generated through issue campaigns, base-building, digital organizing and voter contact efforts — for both internal and external audiences.
Managing Voter File and Digital Organizing Tools. Manage voter file and digital organizing tool access for designated staff and member leaders. This may include:
- Creating and coordinating all logins and access levels for the Carolina Federation in the our voter files and our CRM (EveryAction)
- Creating and implementing systems for Action IDs / logins for member volunteers and for paid canvassers; ensure that staff and member leaders are following protocols
- Collaborating and coordinating regularly with state-level America Votes data staff
- Managing and supporting organizational use of digital tools including (but not limited to) Hustle, ThruTalk, Hustle, Spoke and other contact tools, including building and loading targeted VAN lists as appropriate.
Voter Targeting and Contact. Providing close data support to the voter contact efforts of the Carolina Federation including canvassing, phone banking, texting and other voter contact methods. This may include:
- Supporting the creation of universes for voter contact, based on strategic considerations for upcoming electoral cycles and attention to the long-term efforts to build voting base and membership
- Cutting turf for volunteer and paid canvasses and/or coordinating and supervising turf cutting by staff or member leaders and volunteers.
- Developing target lists for digital outreach across multiple platforms, including use of digital targeting tools linked to voter data.
- Developing target lists for electoral mailers and interfacing with our mail vendors.
- Tracking voter contact and producing daily, weekly and monthly reports as needed
- Communicating voter contact tracking to organizational directors, field directors and county level organizers and liasoning with statewide data coordinators during electoral periods.
- Participating in ongoing strategic conversations informing our electoral efforts at the local and state level.
Staff and Member Training / Support. Develop and lead data organizing + digital trainings for field / engagement team staff, base building staff and for our county-level chapters, in collaboration with state-level data staff within the NC progressive infrastructure. This may include:
- Creating and implementing basic voter file training for staff and member-leaders and supporting our staff to be able to train member-leaders.
- Creating and implementing basic digital voter contact trainings for staff and member-leaders (e.g. Hustle, ThruTalk, VPB, EveryAction, MiniVAN / Street Team, etc.) — and support our staff to be able to train member-leaders.
- Identifying and providing ongoing support to one or more data leads among the member leadership of each chapter or affiliate , and organizing these data volunteers into a statewide data team.
EveryAction / Membership and Volunteer Management. Administer EveryAction for the Carolina Federation. This may include:
- Maintaining basic membership management structures for the Carolina Federation EveryAction; update and streamline membership management structures, in coordination with our staff and chapter teams.
- Working with chapters at the staff and member-leader level to integrate EveryAction into their ongoing organizing, base-building, member tracking and membership dues payments.
- Transitioning new and existing non-EveryAction data collections into EveryAction
- Creating and maintaining intake systems for volunteers via EveryAction and Mobilize
- Supporting our development team in their use of EA to manage donors and fundraising.
- Being the primary point of contact for all interactions / negotiations / exploration with national level staff for EveryAction, The Movement Cooperative(TMC) / Movement Voter Project, ActionBuilder and other tool providers.
Organize Our Staff and Leaders To Use Data Effectively In Their Work
- Organizing chapter data leads and chapter staff to ensure that our chapters are effectively tracking event attendance, member actions, and recruitment lists in EveryAction.
- Working with Director level staff to ensure that all programmatic areas have robust data components and that developed protocols for data within those programs are being followed.
- As needed, project managing (i.e. ‘owning’) discrete data projects for the organization that involve multiple staff, such as implementing new data protocols or onboarding new tech tools for use in voter contact.
What We’re Looking For In A Data Organizer
These are the types of skills, commitments, competencies and qualities that we’d be looking for in our data organizer. We offer these as a broad outline; it is not necessary that applicants have experience in all skills and competencies:
- A Commitment to Building Power; through elections, issue campaigns, base-building and organizing, centered around the leadership of working-class people and people of color.
- A Commitment to racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice and to lifting up the leadership and dignity of the working-class people and people of color; a felt sense of inspiration and alignment with our DNA principles.
- A Commitment to Interdependence — bringing your best, relying on the strengths of others, the knowledge that we are responsible for each other’s well-being.
- A Commitment to Integrity – drawing from deep values and beliefs with a track record of honesty and courage.
- Resilient, Ambitious, Relentless – leaning on professional and personal support systems and internal resources to sustain yourself in challenging times; believing that you and others are capable of greatness and that victory is possible for our people; getting creative and experimental when things get difficult
Technical Skills and Past Experience
- An attention to detail and timelines; an ability to execute complicated sequential steps with rigor and precision, often on a tight deadline.
- Ability to clearly communicate (with patience and humility) data-related information to audiences who may not have much data background, both in 1:1 and training scenarios.
- Experience with voter contact programs and experience in the use of data in candidate or issue-based campaigns.
- Familiarity with online electoral / advocacy tools and constituent relationship management (CRM) tools.
- Experience with spreadsheets and data manipulation.
- Experience participating in a volunteer or staff capacity on an electoral campaign or a local issue campaign.
Benefits and Compensation
This is a full-time, salaried position at $61,836 – $75,577 a year, based on equity, experience and qualifications. We currently offer employer based health care (medical / dental /vision), disability, retirement (including employee match) and a generous paid time off policy.
Location and Travel
While much of the work for this role can be done remotely, we are looking for a candidate who currently lives in or is willing to relocate to North Carolina. The ideal candidate for this position would live in either the Triad or Triangle region of the state.
How to Apply
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and at least three references to . We will prioritize applications received by September 1st, 2023.
In your email or cover letter, please include how you heard about this position.